Holy Rule for Oct. 9

    Message 1 of 236 , Oct 8, 2012

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them;

      Helen, who fell and had a stroke.

      Marlon, 12, who was so severely savaged by his pet dog at the weekend that he may be facing the amputation of his leg. Also for his mother who had to stab the dog to death to get it to let go of her son. Also for all his friends and teachers at his school who are traumatised by this terrible event.
      Diane, who is studying for the Veterinarian exam. She must pass it on this, her third try, or she will not be allowed to take it again in her home state.

      The eleventh degree of humility
      is that when a monk speaks
      he do so gently and without laughter,
      humbly and seriously,
      in few and sensible words,
      and that he be not noisy in his speech.
      It is written,
      "A wise man is known by the fewness of his words"(Sextus,
      Enchidirion, 134 or 145).

      REFLECTION

      OK, writing as one who is 40% deaf, let me try to throw some light on
      what this step is NOT. Remember that Benedictines espouse balance and
      that balance should avoid both extremes.

      I have always been hard of hearing, so I have long noted a tendency
      by some to interpret "not noisy" as barely audible. I hardly think
      that's the case. Even talking on the phone to other OSB houses I
      sometimes pick this up: the whispered inflections that one commonly
      only hears in funeral parlors. Just as we should not
      roar or yell when it is uncalled for, neither should we tiptoe about
      whispering when there is no need.

      So, for the last of my soapbox today, we don't yell, but we don't
      whisper, either, unless such adjusted speech is truly necessary.
      (Who, after all, would whisper "Fire," or "Shark,"?) We seek the
      Golden Mean of carefully weighed speech that others can hear.

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who
        does not come on time