Holy Rule for Oct. 4

    Message 1 of 237 , Oct 3, 2012
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of the following, for all their families and all who mourn them:

      Mother Placid, OSB, of Regina Laudis Abbey, Bethelhem, Connecticut

      Beatrice, who died unexpectedly, mother of Prior Aelred.

      Cassie, who took her own life suddenly and tragically.

      Prayers for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the followng, for all their loved ones and all who take carte of them:

      Kim, very depressed with life, may God guide and protect her.

      A five year old girl apparently abducted in Wales, last seen getting into a stranger's car, and for her parenst and all who are searching for her.

      Brie, on her birthday, many more!

      Diana, who got fired, she has an interview for a new job.

      Deo gratias, we prayed for Fr. Bob, 85, expected to die when the respirator was removed, her did not, and is now going to rehab. Prayers that he is able to return home after rehab.

      Lord, help us all
      as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never
      absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The sixth degree of humility
      is that a monk be content
      with the poorest and worst of everything,
      and that in every occupation assigned him
      he consider himself a bad and worthless workman,
      saying with the Prophet,
      "I am brought to nothing and I am without understanding;
      I have become as a beast of burden before You,
      and I am always with You" (Ps:22-23).

      REFLECTION

      OK, first warning. Some people who truly do have low self-esteem have
      to be very, very careful to remember that humility is truth, that ANY false
      and distorted self-image spells trouble. Increasing closeness to God, Who
      is Truth, must bring us to increasing truthfulness about ourselves. That can
      mean adjustments up OR down in our attitude.

      While it may be true that some people have self-esteems
      which are far too low, I think that many people, from my generation onward,
      have "worked through all that" with more than enough success. Relax,
      I think that often we have compensated for any imbalance and then some! With
      ears attuned to such 21st century self-affirmation, it is hard for us to hear
      lines like "worthless workman", "brought to nothing" and "a beast of
      burden before You."

      Understandably, we may listen through our filtered ears and wonder
      how on earth the Psalmist could say such things. Mechanisms to
      explain them away and denial defenses spring right up: " Must have
      been his primitive society, must have been some neurotic notion of
      religion in those days! Boy, that David REALLY needed to work on his
      self-image, so sad in a King, too!"

      I don't think any of those things are true in more than the most
      minimal sense, if that. David COULD say those things with honesty,
      because he was saintly.Let me hasten to console all concerned with
      that news that he was also very human. Face it, he had a lusty eye
      for Uriah's wife and conveniently arranged Uriah's death in battle
      to "legitimate" things. Nathan the prophet confronted David with the facts
      and the child born of his dalliance with Bathsheba died. Hardly the type
      of thing one would read about St. Therese, the Little Flower!

      Because this terribly human David, in a sense, had "seen"
      God, at least with the eyes of his soul, he could easily make
      truthful remarks like these about himself! Once we see even a bit of
      God, scales begin to fall from our eyes and we can easily see how the Prophet
      could say such things: they are true!

      I sure know I am nothing, nothing at ALL without
      God. If I have done a good job here and there, make no mistake
      that I can tell you from an inside perspective that successes were
      just that: here and there. Not one of them would (or could!) have ever
      happened without God's grace. Nada. Zilch! The total workman profile
      has a LOT of gaps and stuff undone, deliberately and otherwise. The merit
      review will probably NOT recommend a raise at this time!

      We need the truth of humility because we take ourselves- and the
      falsehoods about ourselves for good or ill- far, far too seriously. Yes, we
      sometimes need to know we really did "OK", but we also need to often
      remind ourselves that we are not so hot as we thought!

      "Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to Your Name give the glory!" Yet another of
      David's pithy assessments of self-worth. We are, of ourselves, less than carbon.
      It is only because of Christ that we carbon kids can truly become the "immortal
      diamond" of which Hopkins wrote!

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.