Holy Rule for Sept. 13

    Message 1 of 236 , Sep 12, 2012

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Chris' Mom, who died suddenly, and for Chris and her family and all who mourn her, esp. Meggie.

      Prayers for Sr. Patricia Anne's brother who will have surgery tomorrow for cancer involving tonsils, throat, tongue and jaw.

      Lord, help us all as You
      know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent,
      praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      In her teaching
      the Abbess should always follow the Apostle's formula:
      "Reprove, entreat, rebuke" (2 Tim. 4:2);
      threatening at one time and coaxing at another
      as the occasion may require,
      showing now the stern countenance of a mistress,
      now the loving affection of a mother.
      That is to say,
      it is the undisciplined and restless
      whom she must reprove rather sharply;
      it is the obedient, meek and patient
      whom she must entreat to advance in virtue;
      while as for the negligent and disdainful,
      these we charge her to rebuke and correct.
      And let her not shut her eyes to the faults of offenders;
      but, since she has the authority,
      let her cut out those faults by the roots
      as soon as they begin to appear,
      remembering the fate of Heli, the priest of Silo (1 Kings 2-4).
      The well-disposed and those of good understanding
      let her correct with verbal admonition the first and second time.
      But bold, hard, proud and disobedient characters
      she should curb at the very beginning of their ill-doing
      by stripes and other bodily punishments,
      knowing that it is written,
      "the fool is not corrected with words" (Prov. 18:2; 29:19),
      and again,
      "Beat your son with the rod,
      and you will deliver his soul from death"(Prov. 23:13-14).

      REFLECTION

      Again, this is for ALL of us, not just Abbots!

      I'll bet that many of us, at one time or another, have had to deal with
      someone whose first response to a situation was a
      sharp, full-force rebuke. That tends to stun people with its severity, a
      severity which is out of line, or we wouldn't be surprised at all!

      There are three provisions here: "reprove, entreat, rebuke." They
      have the weight of Scripture as well as that of the Holy Rule. All
      three are necessary and, except for the most truly extraordinary
      cases, all three are necessary in that order.

      I think most monastic people who have been listening to God and truly
      examining themselves tend to be gentle. That's fine, but stopping
      permanently at extremes of the gentle points can sometimes be a
      bad idea. The Truth we look at, look for and strive
      to learn absolutely demands that when needed, our authority will have
      teeth, no matter how unpleasant that may be to us.

      To exercise that rebuke factor all the time is not good. To fail it out
      of reticence or distaste is a failure in self-control, self-denial and
      ascesis. We need all three modes in our tool kits. Were that not the
      case, the Holy Spirit would have never bothered to aid both Sts. Paul
      and Benedict in putting them there!

      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.