Holy Rule for Aug. 26

    Message 1 of 237 , Aug 25, 2012
      +PAX

      Prayers for the eternal rest of the following, for all their families and all who mourn them:

      Nicola, a single mom who died suddenly, and for her three young sons.

      John, a friend of our Br. Bernard.

      Pat, 72, who passed away unexpectedly last night in her sleep, for her husband during this time and many close friends dealing with this.

      Thomas, he died of cancer and was 64 yrs old. He leaves his wife, a son, a daughter and two very young grandchildren and three sisters and five brothers.

      Prayers for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Please pray for Michael and his wife Kelly. Mike is dealing with stress and medical problems. Kelly has asked for we prayers that Mike will receive guidance and healing and peace of mind.

      Please pray for Margaret who has had Leukemia for many years. She is also suffering from enlarges spleen, doctors tried to shrink with chemo and in process destroyed her white blood cells, not on medication to rebuild her immune system so she can continue her treatments.Prayers also for her brother Jim.

      Prayers please for Tracy as she is going into surgery on Monday to have her gall bladder removed.

      Colby, he had an interview for employment & they said they would inform him next week.

      Bob, depression, very hard in adjusting to losing his eyesight.

      Deo gratias, Tim and Claudia had a very safe and successful trip.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best/ All is mercy and
      grace. God is neve absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      April 26, August 26, December 26

      Chapter 68: If a Sister Is Commanded to Do Impossible Things

      If it happens that difficult or impossible tasks are laid on a
      sister, let her nevertheless receive the order of the one in
      authority with all meekness and obedience. But if she sees that the
      weight of the burden altogether exceeds the limit of her strength,
      let her submit the reasons for her inability to the one who is over
      her in a quiet way and at an opportune time,
      without pride, resistance, or contradiction. And if after these
      representations the Superior still persists in her decision and
      command, let the subject know that this is for her good,
      and let her obey out of love, trusting in the help of God.

      REFLECTION

      This chapter, I think, holds even more for Oblates in the world
      than it does for monastics. There aren't many superiors around
      today who insist on the impossible as a personal hobby, nor are
      the "impossible" tasks asked of one in the monastery likely to
      compare very favorably with some of the things people in the world
      are asked to do. Those things often come from God directly or
      indirectly, by His will or His permission, so argument isn't going
      to be extremely helpful. All that one can do is apply the last
      three phrases of this chapter to the situation, often with trembling and with
      gritted
      teeth!

      "...let the subject know that this is for her good, and let her
      obey out of love, trusting in the help of God." That is a
      dauntingly tall order! The people who keep this Rule in their
      hearts are, let us be frank, practicing heroic virtue. How touching
      it is to sometimes see their humility. Far from complaining, they
      apologize that they questioned, struggled, or plodded through
      without much feeling!! Hello??!? That's nothing short of fabulous
      and would be humanly impossible without very great cooperation with
      God's grace.

      "...KNOW that this is for her good," not believe or trust, but
      know. WOW! That takes a tremendous act of faith. Often hindsight
      can help here. One can look back at other presumed tragedies and
      see the hand of God's love clearly in retrospect. This, however, is
      often not easily possible when the first tragedy hits, nor is it
      easy when the latest cross is so utterly overwhelming that one can
      be tempted to think that this time is a BIG exception.

      God is the ONLY force that can change evil to good, to triumph. He
      is the only One Who can not only make evil's consequences tolerable
      for those who love Him, but even make them profitable victories!
      All things really do work together for the good if one loves God. We
      need to own and know with all our hearts and might that this
      is always and everywhere true. Always.

      "...let her obey out of love." Whoa!! We will spend most of our
      lives working on that one, but, as Benedictines who must always
      strive to do better, we cannot put off working on it till later. We
      need, however blindly, to seek the way of loving obedience. When we
      cannot find it at first, God, Who knows better than we how hard it is,
      receives our trust and intention as great, great things of merit.

      "...trusting in the help of God." Trust can be unspeakably hard,
      and is made the more so by the many times humans and history have
      betrayed our trust. We become fearful and wary after many human
      hurts. Unfortunately, this impedes our ability to trust even God,
      Who is incapable of betraying us. He will never, ever abandon us.

      St. Faustina said that even if the ground beneath her feet were to
      drop away, she would still trust Him. That's a way off for most of
      us, but a worthy goal which we should long to achieve. Trust like
      that is the herald of great sanctity. And great sanctity is our
      call!

      www.stmarysmonastery.org

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.