Holy Rule for Aug. 25

    Message 1 of 236 , Aug 24, 2012

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Janet, who died after a long battle with cancer, and for all her family and all who mourn her.

      Prayers for the spiritual and temporal wel;fare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Joan, she's recently lost part of her leg to complications of diabetes, now the wound is not healing and she is having more surgery today and will probably lose more of the leg.

      Claudia, that her trip back to college be safe, and her academic year bear fruit intellectually, morally, spiritually, in the arms of Mother Church.

      a friend of Ann's, who has had a recurrence of cancer afetr eight years, and now it is on the lung.

      Deo gratias, the Belgian nuns are gradually coming home from the hospital, recovering well. Continued prayers.

      Chapter 67: On Brethren Who Are Sent on a Journey

      Let the brethren who are sent on a journey commend themselves to
      the prayers of all the brethren and of the Abbot; and always at the
      last prayer of the Work of God let a commemoration be made of all
      absent brethren.

      When brethren return from a journey, at the end of each canonical
      Hour of the Work of God
      on the day they return, let them lie prostrate on the floor of the
      oratory and beg the prayers of all on account of any faults that
      may have surprised them on the road, through the seeing or hearing
      of something evil, or through idle talk. And let no one presume to
      tell another whatever he may have seen or heard outside of the
      monastery, because this causes very great harm. But if anyone
      presumes to do so, let him undergo the punishment of the Rule. And
      let him be punished likewise who would presume to leave the
      enclosure of the monastery and go anywhere or do anything, however
      small, without an order from the Abbot.

      Rare is the person who can manage to stay employed without at least
      a slightly different persona at work. We are one thing there,
      because we have to be, but when we clock out, much, if not all of
      the work persona is shed. In fact, we usually have a whole
      repertoire of different selves, being one thing with our grandmother and quite
      another with a childhood friend we have known all our lives, one
      thing with the promising new date and quite another with the spouse
      of many years!

      Secular society has enlarged upon this tendency to its own ends.
      Because the tendency is so deeply rooted in us, we may fail to see
      its dangers when carried to extremes. Thanks to a society often
      glaringly unassisted by revelation, we have the unhappy concept of
      different umbrellas, different sets of ethics to cover different
      areas of life. "Hey, religion is fine if you want it, but this is
      BUSINESS!" or "I may be a Christian, but this is public service. I
      was elected by a constituency that expected me to leave some of
      that Gospel stuff at the door." Well, folks, such notions do not
      wash well. In fact, they really don't wash at all.

      The message of the Holy Rule and of the Gospel is that there is one
      umbrella, period. There is one persona, period. Granted, in the
      latter, shades and gradations may last throughout most of our
      struggling lives, but the goal is clear. All monastic, all
      Christian, all the time. One heart, one umbrella, one Lord, one
      faith, one baptism.

      That work persona that we drop when we clock out, the totally free
      and other person we are on days off or on trips away can be an OK
      notion in relation to work. Wouldn't we find someone who was a
      salesperson or teacher or secretary or manager ALL the time to be a
      dreadful drip? The concept fails, however, when it is applied to
      vocations, to any vocation at all. One does not take a vacation
      from being married or a parent or ordained or a monastic.

      Do I hear loud screams in cyber-space as I mention BALANCE again?
      Sorry, but it is true. There is a balanced way to be under one
      umbrella all the time that we must strive to achieve. Yes, I am
      different with different friends, we all are, we have to be, charity
      demands that. But there is a commonality between all the threads of
      our behavior. We are monastics. We are freer within defined limits.
      It is to the balance of those defined limits that this chapter

      At Petersham, we still follow this custom of prayer for one who
      will be away overnight. The prayers are said in the refectory,
      after grace. One is blessed leaving and returning, while kneeling
      in the center of the ref. It's just a way of saying, as a
      community, that we all know that maintaining that one umbrella can
      be tough, especially when one is away alone. We want to support
      each other with our prayers, we want our brother to know that our
      hearts are with him all the way.

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21 9:19 AM

        anyone who
        does not come on time