Holy Rule for Aug. 22

    Message 1 of 239 , Aug 21, 2012
      +PAX

      Please continue prayers for Elaine's healing.

      Please pray for strength and healing for Greg, in Rehab from Drug addiction.

      Continued prayers for the four Belgian nuns with mushroom poisoning, one is still suffering a lot, but it looks like all will recover.

      Chapter 65: On the Prior of the Monastery

      It happens all too often that the constituting of a Prior gives rise
      to grave scandals in monasteries. For there are some who become
      inflated with the evil spirit of pride and consider themselves
      second Abbots. By usurping power they foster scandals and cause
      dissensions in the community. Especially does this happen in those
      places where the Prior is constituted by the same Bishop or the same
      Abbots who constitute the Abbot himself.
      What an absurd procedure this is can easily be seen; for it gives
      the Prior an occasion for becoming proud from the very time of his
      constitution, by putting the thought into his mind
      that he is freed from the authority of his Abbot: "For," he will say
      to himself, "you were constituted by the same persons who constitute
      the Abbot." From this source are stirred up envy, quarrels,
      detraction, rivalry, dissensions and disorders. For while the Abbot
      and the Prior are at variance, their souls cannot but be endangered
      by this dissension; and those who are under them, currying favor
      with one side or the other, go to ruin. The guilt for this dangerous
      state of affairs rests on the heads of those whose action brought
      about such disorder.

      REFLECTION

      St. Benedict tries to guarantee unity by letting the Abbot choose
      his own Prior, parents can do it by a struggle to overcome their own
      personal differences for the good of the children. This is not to
      say that the parents can necessarily get over their problems, but
      that they must at least try to be consistent with the children, for
      the children's sakes. As St. Benedict points out, this choosing of
      sides in child or monastic, can lead to ruin.

      Why does it lead to ruin? Because manipulation to some degree puts
      us in charge of ourselves, something no child and only the rarest of
      monastics is strong enough to be. As St. Bernard of Clairvaux
      said: "The one who has himself for a master has a fool for a
      disciple."

      One reason we took obedience upon ourselves was our knowledge of our
      own weakness. This knowledge can fade and dim with time, we can be
      convinced we know better. Religious obedience is a real protection from harm.
      Benedictines not only are not in charge of themselves, but, as the Holy Rule
      defines cenobitic community life, they "desire" this lack of control.
      They "desire to live under a Rule and an Abbot."

      www.stmarysmonastery.org

      Message 239 of 239 , Nov 24, 2017

        For Demosthenis, hypertension, in ICU, fighting for hiss life.

        For the recovery of Alex’s friend, emotionally, physically, spiritually and financially, through the intercession of Our lady of the Rosary.