Holy Rule for Aug. 19

    Message 1 of 236 , Aug 18, 2012

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Alissa, ran away from rehab, but has been found, her sitauation is still very serious.

      A single Mom and her three children and two nieces, who face family and economic issues.

      Nicki, kidney removed for cancer.

      Chapter 63: On the Order of the Community

      The juniors, therefore, should honor their seniors, and the seniors
      love their juniors.
      In the very manner of address, let no one call another by the mere
      name; but let the seniors call their juniors Brothers, and the
      juniors call their seniors Fathers, by which is conveyed the
      reverence due to a father. But the Abbot, since he is believed to
      represent Christ,
      shall be called Lord and Abbot, not for any pretensions of his own
      but out of honor and love for Christ. Let the Abbot himself reflect
      on this, and show himself worthy of such an honor.

      And wherever the brethren meet one another the junior shall ask the
      senior for his blessing.
      When a senior passes by, a junior shall rise and give him a place to
      sit, nor shall the junior presume to sit with him unless his senior
      bid him, that it may be as was written, "In honor anticipating one
      another."

      Boys, both small and adolescent, shall keep strictly to their rank
      in oratory and at table.
      But outside of that, wherever they may be, let them be under
      supervision and discipline,
      until they come to the age of discretion.

      REFLECTION

      Relationships between seniors and juniors are a two-way street. The
      behavior of one feeds (or stokes the fires!) of the other. Hey, this
      is true of all relationships, in every area of life. Want to be
      loved? Give respect. Want to be respected? Give love. It may not
      work in every instance, but it must be the first means we try and
      the only means we never abandon totally.

      Though the Holy Rule clearly exempts (in this passage,) the Abbess,
      because she represents Christ, the express command that the Abbess
      remember why she is treated as Christ is underscored. The Rule is
      the Rule and monastics are human. The treatment we give to others tends to
      reflect back upon as from a mirror, often with very good reason!

      That mirror image can be the key to a LOT of our pain and discomfort
      with others. It is not at all uncommon to see people mimic perfectly
      the behaviors they complain about most bitterly in others. How many
      times do we see one who almost exactly replicates the parent or
      sibling at whose hands they have most suffered? And usually all
      unawares! If one said to such an individual: "You are being JUST
      like so-and-so!" the response would probably be
      angry and not slight.

      We must all be very, very, very mindful and vigilant that the
      behaviors we are hurt by or angered by or loathe do NOT show up in
      our own tool kits. If they do, there is a double result. Not only do
      we fail morally at charity, but we isolate ourselves socially from
      the very people who might be able to help us. It becomes a vicious
      circle, creating the loneliness we complain of and fear.

      When your buttons are pushed and you are very annoyed, examine the
      behavior that set you off VERY, very carefully. Many times it is our
      own faults in others that most offend us! This is easily seen in
      those around us reacting to what they themselves loathe (and image!)
      but it is much harder to see in ourselves. Don't give up this effort
      and self-inventory! It is an important part of the monastic struggle.

      Try with all your might never, ever to pass pain on. It is very hard
      at times, but all of us know the unlovely examples of the many who
      are all too determined, even unwittingly, to make sure that their pain gets
      spread around. There is no shortage of such nonsense in the world.
      Don't duplicate services!

      www.stmarysmonastery.org

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.