Holy Rule for Aug. 18

    Message 1 of 236 , Aug 17, 2012

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Steve and for all his family and all who mourn him and for Nora and Jim who will now be raising his two youngest children.

      Prayers for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Michael and Cheryl, safe travels.

      Luke ,4, who will have an MRI to learn if he was born with Chiari Syndrome like his sister, Toni-Marie. He has experienced some of the same headaches which Toni used to have.

      Ron has been bedridden with his back for the past 4-5 days, they will be scheduling him for a procedure in the near future, to attempt to relieve the pain.

      a 20 year old girl who ran away from a rehab and has not been heard from for 12 days. Please pray for her safety and for her family who are very worried abut her.

      Wally, who has been hospitalized with stomach and intestinal issues, and doctor's have discovered a mass on his kidney. They will be doing a biopsy on August 23rd.

      Cherise, there is a long-standing eating disorder, as well stuggles with alcoholism, including a recent DUI. Prayers for her and her husband as they seek help.

      Chapter 63: On the Order of the Community

      Let all keep their places in the monastery established by the time
      of their entrance, the merit of their lives and the decision of the
      Abbot. Yet the Abbot must not disturb the flock committed to him,
      nor by an arbitrary use of his power ordain anything unjustly; but
      let him always think of the account he will have to render to God
      for all his decisions and his deeds.

      Therefore in that order which he has established or which they
      already had, let the brethren approach to receive the kiss of peace
      and Communion, intone the Psalms and stand in choir. And in no place
      whatever should age decide the order or be prejudicial to it; for
      Samuel and Daniel as mere boys judged priests.

      Except for those already mentioned, therefore, whom the Abbot has
      promoted by a special decision or demoted for definite reasons, all
      the rest shall take their order according to the time of their
      entrance. Thus, for example, he who came to the monastery at the
      second hour of the day, whatever be his age or his dignity, must
      know that he is junior to one who came at the first hour of the day.
      Boys, however, are to be kept under discipline in all matters and by
      everyone.

      REFLECTION

      I have known one monk of St. Leo who may perhaps have been delighted
      to be the most senior monk by age and entrance, but he is long gone
      now. The others I have known, who either held the first place or
      hovered near it, could not have cared less, might even chuckle about
      it if reminded. I like their way better.

      Rank is a handy way to organize people in line, but after that, its
      usefulness quickly diminishes. Rank that one desires or seeks can be
      downright pernicious and fatal to a monastic life. If you look at
      this chapter closely, it is not hard to see that St. Benedict wanted
      his monastics to pretty much take their place and forget about it-
      going any higher or lower had nothing to do with their own decision
      anyhow and they should be at peace.

      There's the rub: to be at peace! We need peace, we need inner
      serenity. It is no accident that it became our motto, PAX. That
      peace of soul is fertile earth in which God tills His bountiful
      fields of graces. It is the foundation we need to build houses firm.

      That inner peace becomes impossible when our primary focus is a
      scramble to the top. Archbishop Sheen called ambition "the
      ecclesiastical lust" and he was very right. What obsesses us often
      comes to enslave and own us outright, a tragic turn of events. Our
      thirst ought to be holiness, not power or position.

      www.stmarysmonastery.org

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who