Holy Rule for Aug. 15

    Message 1 of 237 , Aug 14, 2012
      +PAX

      Prayers for all religious dedictaed to the assmuption, on their patronal feast.

      Prayers for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Deo gratias and continued prayers, Andrew had all the false charges dropped, next hurdle is a custody hearing on Aug. 17.

      Linda, on her birthday, graces galore and many more. Ad multos annos.

      Paul and his wife and family, intense marriage crisis, seeing a Catholic counselor this week.

      Margy. She has had a few accidents and has decided to move into a nursing home. While helping Margy move/pack her sister Emogene had a stroke. Prayers for both.

      Chapter 61: How Pilgrim Monks Are To Be Received

      If a pilgrim monastic coming from a distant region wants to live as
      a guest of the monastery,
      let her be received for as long a time as she desires, provided she
      is content with the customs of the place as she finds them and does
      not disturb the monastery by superfluous demands, but is simply
      content with what she finds. If, however, she censures or points out
      anything reasonably and with the humility of charity, let the Abbess
      consider prudently
      whether perhaps it was for that very purpose that the Lord sent her.

      If afterwards she should want to bind herself to stability, her wish
      should not be denied her,
      especially since there has been opportunity during her stay as a
      guest to discover her character.

      REFLECTION

      One of the Desert Fathers (forgive me for not recalling which one,)
      said that there is nothing so careful as a monk not living in his
      native land. That's very true for most of us, though part two of
      this chapter makes it clear that it's not true for everyone. When we
      visit, we want people to think the best of the home, the family, the
      land from which we came. It is this nobility of striving, this
      mindful courtesy that the Desert Father wished to praise. In fact, if
      I read it correctly, the implication was that it might even be
      better to be a monastic AWAY from one's native land for just those
      reasons.

      There is something striking here. Remember how badly the gyrovagues
      and Sarabaites were painted in the types of monks? Well, these were
      the wandering ones, and St. Benedict knew very well that a pilgrim
      monk at the door could be one of these sorts. He doesn't even
      mention it. He wants them to have a chance to do better, to be
      healed by community. If they blow it, fine, he's not going to lose a
      lot of sleep over it, but he does insist they be given a chance to
      improve. Given what the monastic world thought of gyrovagues and the
      like, that says a LOT for St. Benedict's tolerance and clemency.

      Not all of us are in cloisters, but all of us have doors. The people
      who come to those doors may be gyrovagues and Sarabaites, but they
      may not, too. We have to give them a chance to prove or reveal
      themselves. This is true of anyone we encounter. Snap judgments are
      not just unwise, they are forbidden. They can cheat us out of many
      gifts.

      Being too much or too little on the side of caution are both traps.
      Tread the middle way, always the middle way. Moderation in all
      things!

      This doesn't mean we have to dupe ourselves into perpetual
      vulnerability, but it does mean we have to be open, mindful and
      listening, really listening to all comers. Listen first, sift later.
      Do both, always both.

      www.stmarysmonastery.org

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.