Holy Rule for Aug. 14

    Message 1 of 237 , Aug 13, 2012
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Ben, Megan and Ben (yes, another Ben), going off to college. Prayers for protection for them and their faith

      Ronald, 86, in very bad condition, open heart surgery needed and pending this week if his condition improves enough.

      Joe, a heart transplant patient, who has developed yet another in a series of setbacks... and for his loving wife, Carney.

      Tania, diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

      Chapter 60: On Priests Who May Wish to Live in the Monastery

      If any ordained priest should ask to be received into the monastery,
      permission shall not be granted too readily. But if he is quite
      persistent in his request, let him know that he will have to observe
      the whole discipline of the Rule and that nothing will be relaxed in
      his favor,
      that it may be as it is written: "Friend, for what have you come
      (Matt. 26:50)?"

      It shall be granted him, however, to stand next after the Abbot and
      to give blessings and to celebrate Mass, but only by order of the
      Abbot. Without such order let him not make any exceptions for
      himself, knowing that he is subject to the discipline of the Rule;
      but rather let him give an example of humility to all.

      If there happens to be question of an appointment or of some
      business in the monastery,
      let him expect the rank due him according to the date of his
      entrance into the monastery,
      and not the place granted him out of reverence for the priesthood.

      If any clerics, moved by the same desire, should wish to join the
      monastery, let them be placed in a middle rank. But they too are to
      be admitted only if they promise observance of the Rule and
      stability.

      REFLECTION

      The quintessential question of the Holy Rule is that of
      Jesus: "Friend, for what have you come?" This question is not just
      for priests, but for each of us, for all Christians and all
      monastics. The only acceptable answer to the question is: "To seek
      God." That might be rephrased in any of a number of ways, but that's
      the main event, the only game in town, the end all and be all of
      Benedictine monastic life.

      It is very necessary, in stating that we seek God, to admit that we
      haven't altogether found Him yet, nor will we ever do so before
      death. Even in the beatific vision of heaven itself, we creatures
      will never, ever get to the root of our Creator, to the "ground
      zero" of God. Ain't gonna happen. In heraven we shall move ever
      deeper and deeper into Him, for all eternity, a journey that will never end.

      Another way of saying this is that we need to come to the Holy Rule
      and to the Gospel and to Christ admitting how frighteningly little
      we DO know. For heaven's sake, after spending so many years of my life trying to
      become clever, or thinking I was, what a tremendous relief it is to
      be dumb: pluperfectly, fallibly, humanly, screamingly, shriekingly
      DUMB! Boy, I love it! Ignorance truly *IS* bliss, just like they told
      ya! Truly, we ought to know enough to know that we
      know nothing! Realizing that the very best of us has nothing but the
      barest tip of the iceberg is a great and tender mercy, indeed!

      In one sense, I heartily recommend it. It is the only position from
      which one may learn anything at all. Get too smart (or think you
      have!) and you will never listen, failing yet another Benedictine
      hallmark. You won't learn because all your energy will go into
      composing your rejoinder or response. Such people do not learn. They
      merely joust. Life is more than that, much more. Tons more.

      www.stmarysmonastery.org

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.