Holy Rule for Aug. 10

    Message 1 of 239 , Aug 9, 2012
      +PAX

      Ardent prayers, please, for Paul and his wife. After many years of marriage, she is having second thoughts.

      Prayers for all those killed and injured in recent anti-Christian attacks in Nigeria and for all their families and all who mourn them and for the perpetrators.

      Chapter 57: On the Artisans of the Monastery

      If there are artisans in the monastery, let them practice their
      crafts with all humility, provided the Abbot has given permission.
      But if any one of them becomes conceited over his skill in his
      craft, because he seems to be conferring a benefit on the monastery,
      let him be taken from his craft and no longer exercise it unless,
      after he has humbled himself, the Abbot again gives him permission.

      If any of the work of the craftsmen is to be sold, those responsible
      for the sale must not dare to practice any fraud. Let them always
      remember Ananias and Saphira, who incurred bodily
      death (Acts 5:1-11), lest they and all who perpetrate fraud in
      monastery affairs suffer spiritual death. And in the prices let not
      the sin of avarice creep in, but let the goods always be sold a
      little cheaper than they can be sold by people in the world, "that
      in all things God may be glorified" (1 Peter 4:11).

      REFLECTION

      Monasteries, even up until the late 20th century, were marvelous
      examples of self-sufficiency, provided they were in areas where
      farms could be had, and most of them were. St. Leo is the only place
      in the world I where I have ever tasted raw milk.

      When I was a boy, they had their own dairy farm, citrus packing
      plant, beef cattle ranch, hay operation, carpentry shop, garage,
      upholstery shop, printing press, and probably even more that I've
      forgotten. They milled their own cedar to roof the Abbey Church.
      There was a paint shop and artists' studios for painting, ceramics
      and stained glass, with a stab at sculpture, too. Well before my
      time, the old German brothers made the monks' shoes, too.

      Granted, the people who know how to do these things are largely
      dying off, and they were usually lay brothers, a now defunct
      category, but how I would love to see some of that return in my
      lifetime. One felt different in such a place, safer somehow. There
      was no need to go
      out or buy, we had own our and it was even better. We were enslaved
      to less things outside of our lives.

      Now, even monasteries, with fewer members than in those days, cannot
      do many of these things anymore, much less many Oblates in the
      world. I would, however, stress that there is a very, very deep
      connectedness to homegrown and handmade things. It verges on the
      liturgical, and surely enhances same. It is, in a very lower case
      sense, truly sacramental.
      These things are NOT good because they are cheaper, though they
      often are, but because they connect and involve us in our own
      survival and life. They enrich us, this is "soul food" in the most
      literal sense!!

      Do whatever you can to break even the tiniest area of dependency and
      see how good it feels. One herb in one pot on a sunny window or fire
      escape might be enough to start a healthy addiction. Can't grow
      things? (Start with chives or oregano. Both are perennial, both will
      die of nothing but thirst. Fresh chives are so good and so different
      in taste that you
      will never used freeze-dried again. Never.)

      Try any useful craft. The first time I made my own habit I felt like
      a million dollars, even if I didn't look QUITE that good... Check
      out the first used bread machine you can find (they are pricey,
      alas...) set the timer and you can have bread ready when you get
      home from work in
      minutes of prep time. (If you don't have even a few minutes, freeze
      batches of measured dry ingredients when you DO have a minute. Then
      just add liquids and yeast in the morning. Less time than making
      coffee.) You will never walk down the bread aisle (read "airy sponge
      aisle",) in a store the same way again!

      Crock pots are always available very cheap at used stores and tag
      sales. Get one. While you work, as any single person who's used one
      can tell you, dinner will be ready. It will smell and taste a LOT
      better than microwaved frozen food, too. If the pot has a removable
      crock, you can even prepare the raw ingredients the night before and
      refrigerate them.

      Anything, anything you can do or learn to do to set yourself the
      least bit free, to connect yourself more, will be on the side of the
      angels!
      www.stmarysmonastery.org

      Message 239 of 239 , Nov 24, 2017

        For Demosthenis, hypertension, in ICU, fighting for hiss life.

        For the recovery of Alex’s friend, emotionally, physically, spiritually and financially, through the intercession of Our lady of the Rosary.