Holy Rule for Aug. 9

    Message 1 of 237 , Aug 8, 2012
      +PAX

      Prayers for Sr. Lany Jo, on her birthday, graces galore and many more! Ad multos annos!

      Dorothy, for whom we prayed, has died. Prayers for her eternal rest and for all her family and all who mourn her. Prayers for safe travels for her family, as she is being buried in another state.

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      M., cancer has spread to a new tumor on her brain, needs to make decisions about surgery and chemo.

      Wayne, who had a stroke at work and is okay, but that has really shaken him up. His wife Jen is also recovering from some medical issues. Prayers for them as well as their three daughters.

      Joachim, a young seminarian having surgery for bladder cancer.

      Henry, having a kidney removed.

      C, who seems to be in self-destruct mode, spreading the most extreme malicious gossip around his friends, playing them all off against one another.
      He has severe psychological issues and seems unwilling or unable to seek resolution. Needless to say, he's very isolated and disturbed.

      Lord,
      help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.
      God
      is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      April 9, August 9, December 9
      Chapter 56: On the Abbess's Table

      Let the Abbess's table always be with the guests
      and the pilgrims. But when there are no guests,
      let it be in her power to invite whom she will of the sisters.
      Yet one or two seniors must always be left with the others
      for the sake of discipline.

      REFLECTION

      Let me give you a bit of pragmatic application here. I don't know if this is
      true everywhere, but in both houses I have actually lived in, the monks
      tended to eat rather fast. Secularly speaking, I have a reputation for being a
      fast eater when dining alone, even though I have sometimes wondered about
      how good that is for digestion! Here, however, with no conversation to slow me
      down at all, the monks eat like the wind and I am usually the last one, even
      when
      gulping down as fast as I can. Sigh...

      Anyway, the upshot here is that guests OFTEN dine more slowly than
      the monastics and we all get up together for grace. If the guests are where
      the Abbot can see them, it is easier to check on who's done and who isn't. We
      wait for them to finish. (At least 99% of the time. I have known especially
      slow guests to win at this face-off once or twice! We just said grace and
      left them to finish...)

      Monastics (like children or spouses!) can be dreadful creatures of
      habit, you should pardon the pun... I can tell you that sometimes
      that waiting seems interminable. I can also tell you that it is good for us,
      for all of us, and this applies equally to families. We ALLOW, even enable
      and encourage the guest to inconvenience us to a certain extent. That's part
      of our hospitality, part of receiving Christ, often in a considerably
      distressing disguise.

      Oblates in families or the world, trust me on this one, I know
      company can sometimes be a pain. I had company most of
      the time for 12 years. While I relished the occasional day
      when the house was empty, they were fewer and farther between each
      year. The message here is not only for guests in our homes, but for
      others in general, at work, when shopping or (horrors!) driving. LET others
      put you out a bit. Adopt a courtesy that is greater than the world's.

      I used to work the desk in a public library. From that and from my
      hospital and teaching years, I can tell you that a courteous,
      hospitable, Christian attitude of charity can stand out, really touch
      people. You don't have to be obnoxiously preachy, in fact, that has the
      opposite effect! The subtle grace and love of courtesy will lead a lot of people
      to wonder about you and what motivates you. Some of the braver ones will one day
      even ask. And there is your chance! Go slowly and gently, but tell them why.

      (Here is a completely trivial library desk story as an addendum. Feel
      entirely free to quit now and delete if you want! A man came up to me with a
      polite and rather involved tale of why his books were late. There I sat, civil
      servant plenipotentiary, armed with the Town Manager's Power of the Keys, fines
      I could remit and bonds absolve and loose, so to speak. LOL! His plea touched,
      and sensing someone I could play a bit with, I looked at him dryly and said:
      "Go and learn the true meaning of the words 'it is mercy I desire and not
      sacrifice.' " Without so much as a beat he said: "OK, what monastery were YOU
      in? I used to be a Trappist!")

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.