Holy Rule for Aug. 8

    Message 1 of 236 , Aug 7 4:56 AM

      Julie, for whom we have so often prayed, has died. Prayers for her eternal rest and for her husband and 2 yr. old daughter and all their family, and for all who mourn her, esp. Carol.

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them.

      Dorothy, in hospice, Alzheimer's, was heard saying hte rosary without beads the other day.

      Tina's Mom, diagnosed without warning with terminal cancer, and for Tina and all her family, and her best friend, Rachel, who is very distraught with all this.

      Becky, who is pregnant with her second child and has developed gestational diabetes and a painful pelvic separation....prayers for a full term healthy birth for baby and mom.

      a woman who has benign breast tumor fibroadenomas that have exceeded normal size again. This is her second surgery in 3 years.

      Helen, who has been in the hospital for a few weeks with kidney stone issues and her husband, Tony.

      Chapter 55: On the Clothes and Shoes of the Brethren (continued)

      For bedding let this suffice: a mattress, a blanket, a coverlet and
      a pillow. The beds, moreover, are to be examined frequently by the
      Abbot, to see if any private property be found in them. If anyone
      should be found to have something that he did not receive from the
      Abbot, let him undergo the most severe discipline.

      And in order that this vice of private ownership may be cut out by
      the roots, the Abbot should provide all the necessary articles:
      cowl, tunic, stockings, shoes, belt, knife, stylus, needle,
      handkerchief, writing tablets; that all pretext of need may be taken
      away. Yet the Abbot should always keep in mind the sentence from the
      Acts of the Apostles that "distribution was made to each according
      as anyone had need" (Acts 4:35). In this manner, therefore, let the
      Abbot consider weaknesses of the needy and not the ill-will of the
      envious.
      But in all his decisions let him think about the retribution of God.

      REFLECTION

      WOW! Sneaky personal stashes, even in St. Benedict's time! Some
      things in human nature never change... What is really going on here?
      Property is not evil in itself. Why would St. Benedict be so upset
      on this count?

      The following common flaws in ownership apply largely to us all,
      even if they have greater ramifications for monastics in community.
      Things can be a useful tool- St. Thomas taught that a certain amount
      of goods was necessary to help us more effectively work out our
      salvation. However, they can all too easily exceed that necessary
      mark and become idols and falsehoods. That's what the Holy Rule
      seeks to prevent.

      Look at the rich man building granaries in the Gospel. Three HUGE
      mistakes there! He wasn't sharing as much as he could, he thought he
      could protect his wealth from loss and he thought his wealth would
      protect him from disaster. Wrong on all counts.... We, too, when we
      hoard, are usually guilty of at least one or two of those three
      lies, sometimes all of them at once. Speaking as a hoarder in only
      episodic recovery, I know what I'm talking about. I have allowed
      things to lie to me all too often.

      Things don't make us safe. God does. Things will never protect us.
      God does. In the ultimate sense, things cannot make us happy, though
      they might for a while. God does. Things wear out, run out, corrupt,
      get stolen or lost. God does not.

      Things tell us we're in control. We're not. Things can tell us we
      are special, different from those "other" people who do not have
      them. We're not. Things can convince we we'll be at peace, once we
      get them. We won't.

      Things can and do serve a lot of perfectly wonderful purposes. They
      do so, however, only when used and valued in correct balance. I have
      seen people so delighted by a simple gift that I've wished I had
      more to give. But neither I nor the recipient thought that gift
      bought love, or thought it was an adequate substitute for my own
      love for them. Had we done so, the whole experience would have been
      colored quite differently for both of us, and
      not too enjoyable.

      Most of us will spend most- if not ALL- of our lives trying to fine
      tune the reality of things. Not just material things, but all that
      monasticism asks us to balance: sexuality, our will, our hearts, our
      actions, our words. That will be a tremendous, lifelong struggle.

      We won't win any of those battles in one or two forays, not unless
      God gives us a VERY rare and nearly unheard of grace. We have to
      keep chipping away at this mountain range all of our lives. We'll
      probably never reduce those mountains to a flat, fertile valley
      entirely.

      The most that we can usually hope for would be gently rolling
      foothills. Still, God knows that far better than we do, and all God
      asks is that we keep chipping, always chipping and grow not
      disheartened. Does that sound much like perseverance in stability?

      www.stmarysmonastery.org

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who