Holy Rule for Aug. 7

    Message 1 of 237 , Aug 6, 2012
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      M., some new activity in areas of her brain MRI may be cancer spreading.

      Cheryl, financial troubles, needs a miracle.

      Norm, for a happy death embracing Jesus as his Lord and Savior, something he has resisted doing.

      Chapter 55: On the Clothes and Shoes of the Brethren

      Let clothing be given to the brethren according to the nature of the
      place in which they dwell
      and its climate; for in cold regions more will be needed, and in
      warm regions less. This is to be taken into consideration,
      therefore, by the Abbot.

      We believe, however, that in ordinary places the following dress is
      sufficient for each monk: a tunic, a cowl (thick and woolly for
      winter, thin or worn for summer), a scapular for work, stockings and
      shoes to cover the feet.

      The monks should not complain about the color or the coarseness of
      any of these things, but be content with what can be found in the
      district where they live and can be purchased cheaply.

      The Abbot shall see to the size of the garments, that they be not
      too short for those who wear them, but of the proper fit.

      Let those who receive new clothes always give back the old ones at
      once, to be put away in the wardrobe for the poor. For it is
      sufficient if a monk has two tunics and two cowls, to allow for
      night wear and for the washing of these garments; more than that is
      superfluity and should be taken away. Let them return their
      stockings also and anything else that is old when they receive new
      ones.

      Those who are sent on a journey shall receive drawers from the
      wardrobe, which they shall wash and restore on their return. And let
      their cowls and tunics be somewhat better than what they usually
      wear. These they shall receive from the wardrobe when they set out
      on a journey, and restore when they return.

      REFLECTION

      I have heard US religious women speak of formerly
      being "incarcerated" in the habit. Knowing the rules of more than a
      few communities, I have no doubt that is true. I find that
      terribly,immoderately non-Benedictine, way out of balance. However,
      and this is certain to displease some, I find the usual response of
      US Benedictine women to this problem to be equally extreme and
      unwise. The best answer to too much habit is not no habit at all,
      nor do I think that would be the moderate response to which
      Benedictine hearts would most naturally incline.

      Having said that, and underscoring that I am not incarcerated in the
      habit, nor do I wish anyone else to be, let me embark on something
      more than just a hymn of praise for the habit. It will, trust me, be
      very much more of a love song.

      My habit is not ALL of me, would that it were! I could greatly
      profit from being ALL monk, but it is a large part of me. I have
      kissed every piece while donning or doffing it, every single time
      for years now. I can assure you that those kisses are
      sincere, not mindless.
      I love it deeply and the sense of privilege in wearing it has never
      left me.

      The habit doesn't advertise ME to the world, I would be the first to
      tell you that that would hardly be worthwhile or honest. It DOES
      advertise my Benedictine heritage to the world and of that, I am
      very, very proud, for that I am very, very grateful. I am no icon of
      holiness, but our habit is. I am an icon-bearer and that is a lofty
      thing, a humbling thing and yet a thing greatly desirable.

      People have come to me in Boston that really need help who never,
      ever would have approached me in an Oxford cloth button down shirt,
      in the preppy style of lay clothes I admittedly love. Wouldn't have
      happened. Couldn't have happened.

      One of those people is dead now, gone to God a new Oblate, a
      homebound and nearly blind woman in a wheelchair. She was sunning
      herself in her wheelchair, outside her apartment in East Boston and
      still had enough eyesight to recognize the habit and call out as I
      walked by. Thank God I had my habit on that day! She became one of
      our Communities' greatest treasures. I got delegated to invest her
      as an Oblate in her own apartment and she went to God BEFORE she
      could make her Final Oblation. I hope she made that in heaven. What a gift
      Teresa was- and is- to us!

      I could go on and on. There was a terribly sincere man on the Boston
      Common whose question had just gotten dumped on by an insensitive
      priest. He would never have known me otherwise. There was the
      European woman who spoke very little English and felt safer asking a
      monk for directions.

      I love the look of the habit on my brothers and my sisters. Each one
      seems to wear it just a little differently. Even in the old days when my
      Dominican teachers were
      fully habited, I could always tell which was which from behind by
      the different ways their veils fell.

      In choir, as no place else, does the habit sing to me. Our cowls
      (cucullas to some of you,) are voluminous garments of prayer, mini-
      enclosures, formal attire of serious business and great holiness.
      How deeply proud I am to wear one. Whatever other choices others may
      have taken about the habit, I honestly pity any of them without a
      choir garment. It is a treasure of unity and joy.

      I am, believe me, all too different from my brothers and sisters in
      too many respects. (I'm working on that, too.) Our cowls, however,
      cover all those things, no matter how briefly, and we are one in
      heart and prayer and garb. It lends a dignity that the Office truly
      deserves, and yes, I have said Office elsewhere in lay clothes,
      plenty of times. Here, I would not be allowed to go to choir that
      way and I am glad of it.

      I have known people who were taunted, even treated with scarcely
      believable meanness for wearing the habit, for choosing the "wrong"
      option ( when, in fact, one option only was what was meant!) In
      years past, "optional" was often nothing more than a euphemism
      for "abolished." And, to be always and everywhere without the habit?
      I could never stand that.

      http://www.stmarysmonastery

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.