Re: [HolyRule] Holy Rule for Aug. 1

    Message 1 of 236 , Jul 30, 2012

      I have a doctor's appt. in Boston and must leave early, so I am sending the Holy Rule out today, instead of tomorrow morning. Prayers for me and a safe trip and uneventful, please.

      Continued prayers for young Anthony, he had his heart surgery, but now is having complications in his recovery.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. BJL

      April 1, August 1, December 1
      Chapter 50: On Sisters Who are Working Far From the Oratory or Are on
      a Journey

      Those sisters who are working at a great distance
      and cannot get to the oratory at the proper time --
      the Abbess judging that such is the case --
      shall perform the Work of God
      in the place where they are working,
      bending their knees in reverence before God.

      Likewise those who have been sent on a journey
      shall not let the appointed Hours pass by,
      but shall say the Office by themselves as well as they can
      and not neglect to render the task of their service.

      REFLECTION

      Monastics not at home- including Oblates who live elsewhere-
      "...shall say the Office by themselves as well as they can." This is
      a very important qualifying phrase. Over the several years I have
      been in e mail contact with hundreds of Oblates, this question arises
      in one form or another again and again, often with a number of
      solutions offered equal to the number of people answering the
      question.

      "...as well as they can." That means every instance of the Oblate's
      life must be taken into account: work, marriage, parenthood. Some
      Oblates can and do say the whole Office. For others, the chronic
      frustration at NOT being able to might be more constructively given
      up. It destroys peace and holds humility at bay. Many of us just
      cannot, for one reason or another do it all. Admitting that is a
      great boon of truth and truth, after all, is humility!

      Most monasteries today have embraced schemes of the Office that are
      not portable, even for their own monastics. Do the best you can. That
      may be the Roman Office, the Monastic Diurnal, or part thereof,
      or it may be something else for you, but just do the best you can in
      your current circumstance.

      Whatever that circumstance may be, it is where God has placed you at
      this moment. There is a great holiness and truthfulness in starting
      from where we are. It's really the only way to begin a journey anyhow
      (you can't depart from where you are not yet!) so why not shrug your
      shoulders and start shuffling along from here and now and today.
      All those hassles, all that inaccessible frustration of location or
      time, all that we THINK stands in the way are truly portals of mercy
      and grace, would we but let them open!

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who