Holy Rule for July 29

    Message 1 of 236 , Jul 28, 2012

      Prayers for Marie and for her husband Tony and their adult children . Marie has been having a lot of major health problems now for some time. She had a fall and hit her head which resulted in blood on the brain.

      Lord, help us all
      as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never
      absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

      From the Calends of October until the beginning of Lent, let them apply
      themselves to reading up to the end of the second hour.

      At the second hour let Terce be said, and then let all labor at the work
      assigned them until None. At the first signal for the Hour of None let
      everyone break off from her work, and hold herself ready for the
      sounding of the second signal. After the meal
      let them apply themselves to their reading or to the Psalms.

      On the days of Lent, from morning until the end of the third hour
      let them apply themselves to their reading, and from then until the end
      of the tenth hour let them do the work assigned them.
      And in these days of Lent they shall each receive a book from the
      library, which they shall read straight through from the beginning.
      These books are to be given out at the beginning of Lent.

      But certainly one or two of the seniors should be deputed to go about
      the monastery at the hours when the sisters are occupied in reading and
      see that there be no lazy sister who spends her time in idleness or
      gossip and does not apply herself to the reading,
      so that she is not only unprofitable to herself but also distracts
      others. If such a one be found (which God forbid), let her be corrected
      once and a second time; if she does not amend, let her undergo the
      punishment of the Rule in such a way that the rest may take warning.

      Moreover, one sister shall not associate with another at inappropriate
      times.

      REFLECTION

      Lectio divina, sacred reading, is the Benedictine form of
      contemplation, more ancient than many later forms, both Carmelite and
      Athonite. Being so ancient, it comes with very few directions. Much
      of its "method" has been developed and handed down by monastics over
      the centuries since St. Benedict. Even in that embellished form, it
      remains a very, very simple and efficient means to contemplative
      prayer. One simply reads Scripture or the Fathers (or Mothers!)
      slowly, reflectively, ruminating (like a cow chewing its cud!) on
      each word and verse. As St. Romuald later observed, one waits like a
      chick for whatever its mother gives it. One does not read to get
      through the book. One reads to see if and when the Holy Spirit calls
      us to higher prayer with a word or phrase that strikes the heart. At
      that point, one should follow one's heart and not worry about
      finishing the page! Cleared for takeoff!

      It is interesting that St. Benedict weaves all these schedules of
      contemplative reading and prayer together with his manual labor
      concerns, without any ado. There's another example of the dignity and
      holiness of work in a Benedictine theology. Our work, too, is prayer.
      It must be. We must, somehow, learn to be all prayer. That same
      ruminative mindfulness that colors our lectio must color our labor as
      well. It is a different form of attention, a different form of
      prayer, but it is prayer nonetheless! Just ask any gardener or cook
      with a mystical heart or, for that matter, any toilet cleaner or
      diaper changer of the same ilk!

      The Carmelites prescribe mental prayer, which should, with
      recollection, spread throughout one's day. The hesychasts of Mount
      Athos, Romania and Russia stress the Jesus Prayer, said vocally until
      it becomes automatic in the heart at all times. Both of these are
      more explicit methodologies, but the Benedictine aim is the same:
      prayer without ceasing, prayer in choir and garden and cell, prayer
      at reading and prayer at work. Mindfulness of God at all times is the
      contemplative goal of all these systems.

      This is just my own opinion, but I am inclined to think that the
      Dominican concept of contemplation comes closest to our own, largely
      because of their love of study. Study, for the Dominican, is often
      very similar to lectio in the Benedictine scheme of things. Why?
      Because the Dominican seeks Truth, and Jesus said: "I am the Truth."
      A Dominican could be reading just about anything and still know that every bit
      of real, objective truth garnered from that reading would be yet
      another shard, no matter how small, in the infinite mosaic of the
      face of Christ. That is a mosaic none of us shall ever complete in
      this life, but oh, how much more familiar He shall seem to us when we
      meet Him because of it!

      Maybe I'm just prejudiced, but I think that a Dominican education,
      such as I had, is a wonderful preparation for Benedictine life. Prayers,
      please, for all the Dominicans who taught me.

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who
        does not come on time