Holy Rule for July 28

    Message 1 of 236 , Jul 27, 2012

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Jose, a police officer killed by a dump truck while on construction detail, and for all his family and all who mourn him.

      Prayers for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      A., university appeal pending, could lose his studies. Needs badly to accept the will of God in whatever comes.

      Deo gratias, Lola does not have an esophageal tumor, continued prayers as her problem needs further work up.

      J, 36. minor nervous breakdown and some self-harming, that he open up fully to those treating him.

      Brenda, a single mom, battling cancer, very sick, also in financial distress and prayers for her children, two teenagers still at home. Her tests have been clear until Monday and they found another lump. She has to wait until next Wednesday for more tests then wait for those results. Prayers for a miracle and that she doesn't have cancer. Prayers also for her friend Andrea who is so worried about her.

      Julie, who will have chemo placed in her liver next wekk.

      Arline Patricia, on her birthday, may God bless her abundantly.

      Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone, new Archbishop of San Francisco, for all his ministry.

      Ken, new ministry as director of religious ed for his parish, for God's graces on all he does.

      Fr. Ralph on his journey this coming week; traveling grace and protection from demonic attacks during the week and a safe return home to family and church community.

      Special intentions for Ben and Beverly.

      J.S., a very tough academic project coming up; prayers, please, for its successful completion.

      Deo gratias for past prayers answered.

      Callum, 4, still no movement of fludis from his pneumonia, and for his parents, Kate and Aiidan and brother, Fergus

      Brian, bleeding complications at operative site.

      Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

      Idleness is the enemy of the soul.
      Therefore the sisters should be occupied
      at certain times in manual labor,
      and again at fixed hours in sacred reading.
      To that end
      we think that the times for each may be prescribed as follows.

      From Easter until the Calends of October,
      when they come out from Prime in the morning
      let them labor at whatever is necessary
      until about the fourth hour,
      and from the fourth hour until about the sixth
      let them apply themselves to reading.
      After the sixth hour,
      having left the table,
      let them rest on their beds in perfect silence;
      or if anyone may perhaps want to read,
      let her read to herself
      in such a way as not to disturb anyone else.
      Let None be said rather early,
      at the middle of the eighth hour,
      and let them again do what work has to be done until Vespers.

      And if the circumstances of the place or their poverty
      should require that they themselves
      do the work of gathering the harvest,
      let them not be discontented;
      for then are they truly monastics
      when they live by the labor of their hands,
      as did our Fathers and the Apostles.
      Let all things be done with moderation, however,
      for the sake of the faint-hearted.

      REFLECTION

      I offer this as further proof of St. Benedict's tenderness and
      gentleness: take a nap. OK, say the siesta is Italian and cultural.
      Fine, but there were plenty of cultural elements he didn't let
      through the monastery gate. It was a LOT hotter in Egypt and one
      doesn't hear the Fathers telling people to lie down and rest, much
      less saying that those who cannot sleep dare not wake those who can
      with their noisiness! This is a gentle Father we have!

      Surely moderation is one of the key elements woven throughout the
      Holy Rule, but isn't it at least worthy of note that it is stressed
      here, in the chapter on work? St. Benedict may not have had all the
      handy psychobabble terms that we use today to name things, but he had
      a piercingly clear perception of human nature.

      He knew that some people were workaholics and that their contemplative
      focus would be shattered by that. He knew some people were obsessive
      about trivia that didn't matter. He knew that some people would be abused by their own
      kindness and inability to say "No," politely, by their doubt that
      anything is ever enough. All these things can harm, not only prayer, but
      even our primary vocations themselves, marriage, parenthood, family or
      cloister!!

      So, he counters all that by saying: "Take a nap!" Hey, what a great
      reality check! Wake up, y'all, the world has an axis already and
      there is no need for you to duplicate services: it ain't spinning around
      you or your hyper-efforts! Take a nap! God will manage fine without
      you for an hour or so!

      St. Benedict certainly knows that many things are important, even
      essential and he is not at all shy about pointing them out. In the midst
      of all that, he says: "Take a nap!" If you can't nap, he doesn't even say
      "pray," he tells the insomniac to read quietly and not to wake the nappers!!

      Look, we are known for our motto of pray and work, ora et labora. One
      might well assume that if you couldn't be working, you ought to at
      least be praying. Not so. Take a nap. Balance it out. Try pulling
      your arm out of a bucket of water and see what happens. Water closes
      right in, no problem. Much depends on us, but usually much less than
      we are prone to pridefully think! Take a nap!

      Our world around us will gladly and readily tell us that we are worth
      nothing other than our productivity, our work, our profitability. St.
      Benedict wants to be sure that when we come to his monastery, we see
      those distorted values of human dignity for the falsehoods they
      really are. He wants us to work, yes, but to see work in the deep
      humility of truth. A consumerist society has taught us the exact
      opposite of that and we all need to patiently spend lots of time
      peeling those scales from our eyes with the help of God and St.
      Benedict.

      Take a nap!

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.