Holy Rule for July 25

    Message 1 of 239 , Jul 24, 2012
      +PAX

      Prayers for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:
      Lola, growth on her tongue, biopsy likely to be taken.
      Trevor, on a mission of medical mercy to Haiti fro 9 days.
      J., really toxic mess at work and she may lose her job, that she find another job soon, before that happens.

      Chapter 45: On Those Who Make Mistakes in the Oratory

      When anyone has made a mistake while reciting a Psalm, a responsory, an
      antiphon or a lesson, if he does not humble himself there before all by
      making a satisfaction, let him undergo a greater punishment because he
      would not correct by humility what he did wrong through carelessness.

      But boys for such faults shall be whipped.

      REFLECTION

      This chapter bears the key to Benedictine community and
      mercy: the offender is willing, perhaps even eager at times, to humble
      himself after a fault, without any prompting, before any action is taken
      from superiors. Contrast this with those who resist ardently the
      slightest correction and you will quickly see what such behaviour
      indicates! The hallmarks of our Order are humility and obedience.

      OK, another little slice of monastery life here! Brother Isidore is
      Canadian, and runs very true to the stereotypical Canadian politeness
      and reticence we Statesiders often tease him about. Brother joins in
      this fun with a lot of good humour. (Please note British Commonwealth
      spelling preferences here, a token offering!) One of his favourite lines
      of jest is: "I'm sorry, it was my fault." This is best repeated while
      striking his breast, after a glaringly obvious gaff by the OTHER party,
      and all enjoy a laugh.

      We follow the custom of kneeling in choir when one makes an audible
      mistake here. Brother Isidore used to sit in my row. On more than one waggish
      occasion, I have been known to comment that, if one wants to have a
      little fun in choir, all one needs to do is make a mistake, act like
      nothing happened, and wait for the Canadian to kneel. Oh, well, it's a
      joke we all like- even Brother Isidore!

      The kneeling is just a way to say "I'm sorry" to the group. It also has
      some (though by no means a total,) deterrent effect. Many are the days
      when I kneel for the third time in one Office hour and just think: "Why
      don't I just STAY on my knees for the duration?" It can be funny, too.
      Hear a big gaff and watch 2/3 of a row kneel after the verse is
      finished. On the other hand, I often- though not always, alas- try not
      to look at who kneels. I can assure you, from the many times I kneel
      myself, I find merit in the practice every time. Honestly and truthfully
      admitting gaffs can be a source of great growth.

      And there's the key for all of us who are NOT in choir. Admit your
      mistakes, own up, apologize. These common courtesies are very Christ-
      like and are very, very rare in our world today. Modern people can have
      such a distorted view of their own impeccability. When we admit ours, we
      throw a compelling image of Christ into that secular morass. It may be
      just throwing bread on the waters, but we never know whom our truthful
      admissions may touch and lead to God.

      Petersham, MA+

      Message 239 of 239 , Nov 24

        For Demosthenis, hypertension, in ICU, fighting for hiss life.

        For the recovery of Alex’s friend, emotionally, physically, spiritually and financially, through the intercession of Our lady of the Rosary.