Holy Rule for July 21

    Message 1 of 236 , Jul 20, 2012

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Benedict, a young father who died unexpectedly, and for his wife, Monica, their children, Timothy and Eliza (who is handicapped,) for his Mom and brother, Al, and all their family and all who mourn him.

      Prayers for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the follwoing, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Br. Daniel, of Pluscarden, on his feastday,graces galore and many more. Ad multos annos!

      Amy, for whom we prayed, has died but her parents still need our prayers. Amy's mom is talking about leaving and getting her own place. Amy's Dad is devastated. Not only has he lost his daughter but now his wife. Prayers that she stays and they are blessed with a healthy marriage. Prayers that they are given hope and blessed with acceptance of all that has happened. Prayers also for Amy's aunt, Cindy, who is carrying so much pain and worry about all of this.

      Please continue prayers of healing for Tanner. He had more blood tests to see how his liver is doing and the results will be in tomorrow. Prayers that Tanner's wife sees all she is doing and how it is tearing their family apart. Prayers for Tanner to accept how things turn out and that he sees he is not alone.

      Nancy T. and her family.

      a family member of Linda's, who needs prayer badly for a healing miracle.

      Jeff and Jane-struggling and in need of reconciliation and grace.

      Chapter 42: That No One Speak After Compline

      Monastics ought to be zealous for silence at all times,
      but especially during the hours of the night.
      For every season, therefore,
      whether there be fasting or two meals,
      let the program be as follows:

      If it be a season when there are two meals,
      then as soon as they have risen from supper
      they shall all sit together,
      and one of them shall read the Conferences
      or the Lives of the Fathers
      or something else that may edify the hearers;
      not the Heptateuch or the Books of Kings, however,
      because it will not be expedient for weak minds
      to hear those parts of Scripture at that hour;
      but they shall be read at other times.

      If it be a day of fast,
      then having allowed a short interval after Vespers
      they shall proceed at once to the reading of the Conferences,
      as prescribed above;
      four or five pages being read, or as much as time permits,
      so that during the delay provided by this reading
      all may come together,
      including those who may have been occupied
      in some work assigned them.

      When all, therefore, are gathered together,
      let them say Compline;
      and when they come out from Compline,
      no one shall be allowed to say anything from that time on.
      And if anyone should be found evading this rule of silence,
      let her undergo severe punishment.
      An exception shall be made
      if the need of speaking to guests should arise
      or if the Abbess should give someone an order.
      But even this should be done with the utmost gravity
      and the most becoming restraint.

      REFLECTION

      Anyone who lives in any family, monastic or otherwise, can attest
      that undistracted silence in solitude can be hard to find. That is
      precisely why St. Benedict deliberately and firmly carved this chunk
      out of the monastic day. Believe me, it is a rare treat and a sacred
      hush which blankets the already mysterious darkness of the night.

      One of the reasons behind grand silence actually working so
      well is that it is a social contract agreed upon and practiced by
      all. It is done together, like most things in cenobitic community
      life and that enhances both its power and its appeal. The whole place
      more or less shuts down together. A few lights stay on longer than
      others, but profound silence reigns.

      There is a very close relationship between silence and solitude. Each
      has the potential to produce the other. One can be all alone and
      filled with noise and one can be silent in a group without any
      solitude at all. All that is necessary is to add distractions of
      whatever kind. The end of both silence and solitude is to free the
      mind for God, for prayer, for rest in Him. Done right, a community of
      a hundred in the same room could be individually as alone as a cave-
      dweller on Mount Athos. Done wrong, one might as well be in Times
      Square...

      Ever know the joy of lovers alone when they know absolutely no one
      will disturb their privacy? The door is locked, the phone is
      unplugged, the world is theirs. Why? Because (at least hopefully,)
      nothing will distract them from each other. So it is with silence and
      solitude and God. That's what makes it so wonderful. Try to recall
      that lover's joy, if you have ever known it, and you will have a
      clear picture of what grand silence ought to be. The final relief and
      joy of leaving the world outside one's door, the retreat into the
      privacy of the inner chamber.

      I will not pretend to be clever enough to tell Oblates in families
      how they might find this. Creative ways probably exist, but you might
      have to just wait for a visit to a monastery to get the full effect.
      All I will say is that one must always carve silence out of any
      family LOVINGLY, that's what makes it holy and sacred. If you become
      at all cranky about it, the whole value is flushed and you might as
      well watch a really mindless TV show. Silence and solitude can work
      together, but only with the catalyst of love that makes them a
      trinity of power and grace.

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who