Holy Rule for July 7

    Message 1 of 236 , Jul 6, 2012

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of the following, for all their families and all who mourn them:

      Brian, and for his friend, Michael, who asked.

      Joan, and esp. for her husband, Don, who is not expected to live much longer.

      Prayers for Carol, at home and on morphine for end-stage cancer, not expected to live long, for her happy death and all her family and all who will mourn her.

      Please pray for healing and calming for Elaine. Preparations involved for a colonoscopy have left her dehydrated and unable to eat. A lump was found but so far it has not been determined if it is benign or malignant.

      Jody, for whom we prayed is out of ICU, continued prayers, please during her long recovery.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much.
      JL

      March 7, July 7, November 6
      Chapter 30: How Boys Are to Be Corrected

      Every age and degree of understanding should have its proper measure of
      discipline. With regard to boys and adolescents, therefore, or those who
      cannot understand the seriousness
      of the penalty of excommunication, whenever such as these are delinquent
      let them be subjected to severe fasts or brought to terms by harsh
      beatings, that they may be cured.

      REFLECTION

      While I often suffer from the loneliness of being single, I never,
      ever regret the fact that I am childless. Quite the reverse! I always
      find myself deeply grateful that I have not had to face the challenge of
      raising children. I have the deepest respect for those who do. Having
      taught for a while, I know all too well how daunting it can be, even
      just part-time in the classroom.

      I can assure you that, just as there are deeply toxic adults, there are,
      alas, toxic children, too. I know. I have taught them. I don't mean that
      we should stoop to violence, but how does one reach such a child? I have
      never been able to answer that. Prayer is the only answer.

      We are social primates. We have a cross and burden to bear for our
      elevation above the rest of the primate world, a responsibility. For a
      baboon troop, this is a no-brainer: drive the loser out of the
      troop. After that, the next stop is the Lions' Pride Cafe and one
      becomes an entree. Tempting as that kind of abdication may be, it is
      something to which we can never resort.

      I think we need to cling to the Benedictine model in such situations:
      punish only to reform, not for revenge, not to destroy; punish
      appropriately, in ways that will be understood and that fit the
      offense justly. When all that fails (and even before, while we're
      watching it fail slowly!) Pray, pray, pray! To pray is not like doing nothing.
      It is a very active intervention and it is often the only tool we have.

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who
        does not come on time