Holy Rule for July 5

    Message 1 of 236 , Jul 4 5:59 AM

      Please pray for the upcoming convention of the Melkite Catholic Eparchy of Newton, its spiritual success for those attending, and their safety.

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Theresa, undergoing surgery.

      Henry, bladder problems,

      8 families misplaced by a fire in Georgia, many lost almost all they had.

      David, for the success of some job interviews coming up.

      Vasanti, concerns for declining health connected with cancer treatments over the last few years.

      Nicole traveling to Africa and to the US from Egypt.

      Patrick, on his 18th birthday, graces galore and many more! Ad multos annos!

      Chapter 28: On Those Who Will Not Amend after Repeated Corrections

      If a sister who has been frequently corrected for some fault,
      and even excommunicated, does not amend, let a harsher correction be
      applied, that is, let the punishment of the rod be administered.

      But if she still does not reform
      or perhaps (which God forbid)
      even rises up in pride and wants to defend her conduct,
      then let the Abbess do what a wise physician would do.
      Having used applications,
      the ointments of exhortation,
      the medicines of the Holy Scriptures,
      finally the cautery of excommunication
      and of the strokes of the rod,
      if she sees that her efforts are of no avail,
      let her apply a still greater remedy,
      her own prayers and those of all the others,
      that the Lord, who can do all things
      may restore health to the sister who is sick.

      But if she is not healed even in this way,
      then let the Abbess use the knife of amputation,
      according to the Apostle's words,
      "Expel the evil one from your midst" (1 Cor. 5:13),
      and again, "If the faithless one departs, let her depart" (1 Cor. 7:15)
      lest one diseased sheep contaminate the whole flock.

      REFLECTION

      Not everyone should be a monastic. Of those who should, not everyone
      belongs in this or that given monastery. Failing to realize either point
      can lead to a lot of trouble.

      Not everyone belongs where they are. To keep someone
      somewhere at any price is foolish beyond words. It probably even does the
      one protected a great disservice and it is not always "charitable".

      Ultimately, we should worry only about salvation. No one's
      salvation depends entirely on being in any given spot. It may be
      harder elsewhere, or it may be easier, but salvation does not depend
      totally on us: it was effected by Someone else, Whose ways are a mystery
      we often do not understand.

      Just as some people insist on getting married, no matter what, even to the
      wrong person at the wrong time, there are others who insist on the wrong
      job or the wrong monastery. When this happens, whoever is in charge has a
      wonderful, loving opportunity to set things aright and really ought to do so.

      St. Benedict insists that we try everything, but not that we go on
      trying it forever, a fact sometimes perilously missed.

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who
        does not come on time