Holy Rule for June 29

    Message 1 of 237 , Jun 28, 2012
      +PAX

      Solemnity of Ss. Peter and Paul

      A very Roman Catholic reminder here: all who use a religious article blessed by
      the Pope or any bishop on the Solemnity of Ss. Peter and Paul may gain a plenary
      indulgence, under the usual conditions of Confession and Communion within 8
      days, freedom from attachment to all sin, and with the addition of the Apostles
      Creed to the usual prayers for the Pope's intentions.

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Sean's wife, for Sean and their 5 kids and for all their family and all who mourn her.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Sophie, for her nephew, Msgr. Marine, and all her family and all who mourn her.

      Prayers for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      John, hearing loss due to ear treatments.

      Ellie, 10, badly broken elbow requiring surgery.

      Buddy, 87, serious fall, cracked 6 ribs and has a long gash and some bleeding to brain. He will have to go to rehab and was the caregiver for his wife, June, who suffered a stroke and needs full-time care. Prayers, too, for their grown children, Siobahn and her siblings, who are trying to do what is best for their parents' care. They live in different cities and states, so this is difficult for all.

      B., metatstatic cancer and recovering from pneumonia, having chemo.

      Eric, an attorney possibly losing his job in 30 days and for his wife and family.

      Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, Cas' stress test went well, Ben is resting at home after his cardiac surgery and Estephania got two job offers after interviews. Continued prayers for all.

      all the victims of the terrible fires in Colorado, for their families, and for all those who continue to fight the conflagrations.

      Chapter 22: How the Sisters Are to Sleep

      Let each one sleep in a separate bed.
      Let them receive bedding suitable to their manner of life,
      according to the Abbess's directions.
      If possible let all sleep in one place;
      but if the number does not allow this,
      let them take their rest by tens or twenties
      with the seniors who have charge of them.

      A candle shall be kept burning in the room until morning.

      Let them sleep clothed and girded with belts or cords --
      but not with their knives at their sides,
      lest they cut themselves in their sleep --
      and thus be always ready to rise without delay
      when the signal is given
      and hasten to be before one another at the Work of God,
      yet with all gravity and decorum.

      The younger shall not have beds next to one another,
      but among those of the older ones.

      When they rise for the Work of God
      let them gently encourage one another,
      that the drowsy may have no excuse.

      REFLECTION

      Hastening "yet with all gravity and decorum" has prompted many a
      community joke, many a wry comment as one ran most ungracefully,
      parts of the habit flapping wildly in the breeze, to whatever the
      bell was about to make one late for! St. Benedict far antedates the
      Three Stooges, but he still took precautions to ensure that we would
      not look EXACTLY like Moe, Larry and Curly when we went to choir or
      dinner! Admittedly, some of our human tendency still arises to give a
      partial glimpse of that comedic trio, but, as always, the picture is
      balanced!

      First off, a practical reason for
      the lamp may be found in preventing those whom nature calls from sleep
      from tripping all over other beds on their way to answer the call.

      Even more importantly, the elderly may have problems during the
      night if their health is declining. Hale and hearty (and hopefully easily
      awakened!) juniors nearby promise them assistance, if needed. However,
      if you want a humorous take on the knives issue, it may have been to
      prevent mayhem and murder of snorers, an idea which may have occurred
      to many light sleepers!

      Of course, dormitory sleeping is a thing of the past in our Order
      today, but its nice to see that thoughtfulness behind its original
      expression in the Holy Rule. There's a bit of the mother in St.
      Benedict, going out of his way to mention a small detail like not
      sleeping with knives. It is worthy of note, however, that St.
      Benedict, as always is MODERATELY maternal, not neurotically so! He
      doesn't get all bent out of shape, but he cares greatly and deeply.

      One of the most beautiful images in this passage is the exhortation
      to "gently encourage one another" at the hour of rising. Remember
      that the strictest silence of all prevailed at this time. Now picture
      the monastics gently encouraging one another! With no words, there
      had to be a lot of touch, a lot of gentle smiles, a lot of warmth and
      care expressed NON-verbally.

      A very good idea of how loving a monastic is can be had by disturbing
      their silence (or sleep, I imagine!!) Is the reaction cross and
      withering? Watch out for that one! Is there a smile, even a warm one,
      a reaction of sweetness? Well, when silence is over, that is a
      monastic to whose words you may want to listen carefully.

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.