Holy Rule for June 1

    Message 1 of 237 , May 31 5:06 AM
      +PAX

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Diane, and for all her family and all who mourn her.

      Prayers for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Ben, on his birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

      Megan and Jeremy and their baby, Ava, born at 24 weeks, 1 lb. 9 oz., and critically ill, kidneys not functioning properly, only a miracle can save Ava's life. Rosaries are esp. requested.

      a family and their dog, Tess, 13. The family is away and Tess needs surgery to remove one eye because of a potential tumor. Prayers it is not a tumor and for his recovery.

      David, that his phone interview goes well, and for whatever is God's will for the actual outcome.

      Housing situation for Maria in NYC.

      Work for Elizabeth M. for whom prayers were requested before.

      Deo Gratias: Francis was going to have to find a new job come September, but he got the word that they definitely are keeping him on.

      January 31, June 1, October 1
      Chapter 7: On Humility

      The third degree of humility is that a person
      for love of God
      submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
      imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
      "He became obedient even unto death."

      REFLECTION

      This short passage tempts one to a short reading and that casual
      perusal will miss the terribly important things here. These are the
      important elements that frame and sustain our obedience: it is done
      for love of God, it is submission to another and it is lifelong.
      Remove any one of those mainstays and you no longer have a
      Benedictine.

      This third degree gives the reason for Benedictine obedience: "for
      the love of God." We do not obey for so little as an orderly community,
      our obedience is not mere sociology, it is love. More even than just
      love, it is love of the One Who is Love at its highest perfection. Without
      love, we are nothing.

      We obey Love's delegates, our superiors, unto death. There are two
      meanings hidden in that phrase. It can mean martyrdom, obeying even
      to the point of being killed, but it also means obeying all of our lives,
      till the moment of our deaths. Frankly, few of us will be martyrs, because
      few of us are worthy of that grace. ALL of us, however, are called to the
      lifelong white martyrdom of obedience, which can often remind us that
      St. Teresa of Avila said that the martyrs "bought heaven cheaply", that
      they gained in one instant what the rest of us must plod on for many
      decades in a lifelong struggle to gain.

      Like Christ, for love, we become "obedient even unto death." During
      the Spanish Civil War, in the 30's, Communist forces raided the
      Benedictine monastery of El Pueyo, taking 18 monks prisoner. One
      of the very significant things about this group is that many were
      just average monks, nothing special. They were all martyred and
      one witness said that they went to their death "joyfully, as if going
      to a fiesta." These martyrs were members of our Subiaco Congregation
      and we are justifiably proud to have them as our brothers.

      Benedictine obedience of love, even unto death, is decidedly not the
      kind that would please earthly tyrants. In fact, they'd gladly kill
      us for it. There is quite a likeness to our crucified Lord if we
      embrace that peril fully.

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.