Holy Rule for May 29

    Message 1 of 237 , May 28, 2012
      +PAX

      Prayers for the eternal rest of a 25 year old man who gave his life trying to save two children caught in the sea, and for all his family and all who mourn him. May he have sped to heaven as a martyr of charity.

      Prayers for Ramesh, a seminarian needing to fund his studies.

      Prayers for me, a trip to Boston today.

      Lord, help us
      all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      As for self-will,
      we are forbidden to do our own will
      by the Scripture, which says to us,
      "Turn away from your own will" (Eccles. 18:30),
      and likewise by the prayer in which we ask God
      that His will be done in us.
      And rightly are we taught not to do our own will
      when we take heed to the warning of Scripture:
      "There are ways which seem right,
      but the ends of them plunge into the depths of hell" (Prov. 16:25);
      and also when we tremble at what is said of the careless:
      "They are corrupt and have become abominable in their will."

      And as for the desires of the flesh,
      let us believe with the Prophet that God is ever present to us,
      when he says to the Lord,
      "Every desire of mine is before You" (Ps. 37:10).

      REFLECTION

      Revolutions usually have several things in common: they respond to a
      need, they go too far in some areas, not far enough in others and
      they tend to brand those not agreeing with them as criminal or
      psychotic. Look at Soviet Russia for most of the 20th century and you
      will see all of these. Look further back at the French Revolution and
      you will find that 1917 in Petrograd offered nothing new, perhaps new
      names for certain aspects, but nothing else.

      The last decades of the 20th century saw a tremendous psychological
      revolution in the West. Its effects were perhaps greatest in some
      religious circles, where those once wary of psychology now embraced
      it more or less wholesale.

      Pieces of our psycho-spiritual world view definitely needed change and
      correction. Unfortunately, like the Bolsheviks and French before them, the
      revolutionaries shot the Imperial family and guillotined a lot of otherwise
      very fine people. Their zeal went a bit too far and they were often followed
      unquestioningly. If one did question one was either totally discounted or
      "enlightened" as to the new way of things post haste, yet again like the
      revolutions in Russia and France- frighteningly so!

      In those years, a close and scathing look was taken at religious
      obedience and the personal will. It certainly was necessary. A lot
      of accumulation under the accept-without-any-question syndrome
      needed examination and sometimes, change.

      Sadly, but predictably, the pendulum swung in a
      very un-Benedictine fashion to the opposite extreme: question
      everything and accept nothing. Personal will, formerly maligned as a
      foolish, worthless and even dangerous entity was now elevated to
      lofty, noble heights that it frankly did not deserve. Not
      astoundingly, both extremes missed the middle road of truth.

      Human will is at once both potentially noble and flawed.
      Without God and grace assisting, the prognosis is not good. For
      Christians, however, God's grace and aid ARE available, but they come
      at the price of cooperation and cooperation demands a certain
      sacrifice of our own wills, often even a total sacrifice of them.

      It is perhaps harder for us to see the necessity of abandoning our
      wills than it has been for many before us. We are traipsing through
      the spiritual road with all kinds of extraneous, late 20th century
      baggage about autonomy and maturity and self-actualization carried to
      false extremes.

      Balance, always balance, always moderation in the
      Benedictine way! Our wills can be good and wonderful. It is, after
      all, with our wills that we answer God's call. But part of His call
      is to forget the self and forget its willful tantrums.

      A good superior will keep one from being too easy on oneself, but
      will also protect one from being too hard on oneself. I cannot tell
      you the number of times submitting a matter to my superior has
      resulted in something FAR less gruesome than what I had obsessively
      planned for myself! Obedience can and does protect us!

      Some of the wonderful things said about personal will are true, to a
      point, but the revolution failed to emphasize the fact that our wills do
      NOT come with gyroscopes or guarantees. As such, their trustworthiness
      as compasses is far from absolute. The superior, the Rule, the Gospel,
      these are the gyroscopes that enable us to will true North! Without these
      helps, our journey could very easily make the "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
      (or the maiden voyage of the Titanic, if one prefers...) look like a Sunday
      afternoon swan boat ride in Boston's Public Gardens.

      Finally, St. Benedict supports his argument with Scripture. It's a
      clever way of saying: "Hey, you want to argue this? Take it up with
      God." That's where he threw the gauntlet, all those years ago. No one
      in their right mind would dare pick it up.

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.