Holy Rule for Apr. 28

    Message 1 of 238 , Apr 27, 2012
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Annie, undergoing exorcism for possession, and for the Priest who is exorcising her. Ardent prayers for both, this is a difficult case.

      Isaac M. who is in ICU,struggling to breath and periodic declining stats after undergoing stem cell transplant. This is one of his toughest battles and really needs all of the prayers you can offer!

      Denise L. who will be having surgery tomorrow to remove a cancerous mass from her kidney.

      Betty H. who is very ill and undergoing diagnostic testing.

      Gail's father, who is undergoing testing to determine if he has a blood disease due to the fact that he has had to have 11 units of blood since December."

      Sandra, for financial needs to be met. Having problems with her vehicle, and a lot of other things hitting her. Ask God to deliver her from financial attack and for deliverance from insufficiency.

      Fr. Ed Silvia from EWTN, who just suffered a heart attack.

      Dennis, for whom we have prayed, stage 4 cancer and given the chance to extend his life 6 months or so by chemo and radiation.

      Sister Joan, in her 90's and in hospice after decades of service to God by serving other people and for all those who care for her and who will grieve her passing - especially Nga.

      Chapter 70: That No One Venture to Punish at Random

      Every occasion of presumption
      shall be avoided in the monastery,
      and we decree that no one be allowed
      to excommunicate or to strike any of her sisters
      unless the Abbess has given her the authority.
      Those who offend in this matter
      shall be rebuked in the presence of all,
      that the rest may have fear.

      But children up to 15 years of age
      shall be carefully controlled and watched by all,
      yet this too with all moderation and discretion.
      All, therefore, who presume
      without the Abbess' instructions
      to punish those above that age
      or who lose their temper with them,
      shall undergo the discipline of the Rule;
      for it is written,
      "Do not to another what you would not want done to yourself" (Tobias
      4:16).

      REFLECTION

      Ever work in a place where there was such chaos that you always had
      to be protecting yourself from just about everybody, where you never
      knew from which quarter doom might swoop down without warning. Trust
      me, it ain't much fun. Been there, done that! St. Benedict wisely saw
      that healthy people cannot live that way- it makes them sick- and
      sick people cannot either, it makes them sicker in a big hurry!

      Our communities, our families, and our own behavior at work or school
      should never buy into such lunacy. One advantage of a central
      authority is that it takes the heat, or ought to take it! To leave
      those we have under our care at the mercy of each other, be they
      siblings or monastics or employees, is a terrible abdication of
      responsibility.

      The other telling thing here is the proscription against losing one's
      temper. Hey, I know it happens, and I often even know how. It surely
      has happened to me, alas. But our communities are to be founded on peace.

      When disagreement comes or wrong is done, our first resort must
      NEVER be the overkill of the heaviest possible artillery. Much less than
      that is effective in most cases and giving more than is necessary just
      destroys our inner peace. That, my friends, is something we should
      never allow things around us to destroy.

      Two other important things are to be borne in mind. The other person may
      honestly have no clue that they have offended or done anything wrong. It
      may be in our own wrong-headed perceptions. Also, the silent treatment or
      the cold shoulder freeze out are demeaning and not terribly mature ways to
      deal with conflict, especially if the person receiving such nonsense is
      expected to either know or guess what she has done wrong. Such petulant
      behaviors are beneath humanity itself, much less Christianity and terribly
      beneath monastic life.

      Far from the "mutually assured destruction" tactic of the nuclear days,
      we should always and everywhere espouse gentleness and polite restraint.
      Our disagreements and corrections should be marked with mercy, even to
      those who fail mercy themselves. (There is no shortage of such people and
      no need to duplicate services there!) So much of charity is genuine
      courtesy and respect, qualities which are sadly easy to fail. We must be mindful,
      ever mindful!

      Message 238 of 238 , Sep 28

        +PAX

        Prayers for the Benedictine Nuns of the Congregation of Ste. Bathilde, having their General Chapter, for guidance from the Holy Spirit for all.

        Prayers for Louis, having kidney surgery.

        Prayers for Paul, having serious back surgery.