Holy Rule for Apr. 25

    Message 1 of 238 , Apr 24, 2012
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      David, he needs prayers for his peace of mind, please. The situation is very toxic, and he is really suffering. It doesn't help that looking for a new job is rather complicated by living on another continent....A miracle would be nice!

      Chris, work problems, causing anxiety similar to those which caused him to be off work with stress 2.5 years ago. Prayers for honest, open dialogue, and less ego-driven behaviour, because Chris really wants to stay in this job and not be pushed out.

      Ann & Herb, she has Alzheimer's and diabetes and isn't caring for herself properly, yet gets very angry when Herb tries to help. They have just moved into assisted living. Prayers that they settle in well, that Ann gets the care she needs, and Herb the support he needs.

      Prayers, please, for Fr. Mark of Pluscarden and for all our Marks on their
      patronal feastday. Graces and blessings and many years!!!

      Lord,
      help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and

      Chapter 67: On Brethren Who Are Sent on a Journey

      Let the brethren who are sent on a journey
      commend themselves
      to the prayers of all the brethren and of the Abbot;
      and always at the last prayer of the Work of God
      let a commemoration be made of all absent brethren.

      When brethren return from a journey,
      at the end of each canonical Hour of the Work of God
      on the day they return,
      let them lie prostrate on the floor of the oratory
      and beg the prayers of all
      on account of any faults
      that may have surprised them on the road,
      through the seeing or hearing of something evil,
      or through idle talk.
      And let no one presume to tell another
      whatever he may have seen or heard outside of the monastery,
      because this causes very great harm.
      But if anyone presumes to do so,
      let him undergo the punishment of the Rule.
      And let him be punished likewise who would presume
      to leave the enclosure of the monastery
      and go anywhere or do anything, however small,
      without an order from the Abbot.

      REFLECTION

      Lay people, in St. Benedict's time and for centuries afterward, were
      more cloistered in the sense of media isolation than most religious
      are today, especially so in rural areas. We have to put ourselves
      into their perspective to see what St. Benedict is saying here. There
      was no postal service, let alone electronic media of any sort.
      Couriers and outriders, official or self-appointed were the only
      sources of news. Gossip and hearsay were the only news media
      available to most. It was, in comparison to our own day, a rather
      cloistered world.

      Today's active Benedictine educator or health care provider or parish
      minister could ill afford being so out of touch, much less Oblates in
      the world with jobs and families. Still, it is important to see that
      St. Benedict stressed this value as strongly as he did and try to
      find out why he did so.

      Fast forward to a Benedictine value we haven't mentioned much lately,
      but a central one: purity of heart. Purity of heart is the focused,
      singular monastic way of searching for God, of the spiritual
      struggle. Purity of heart, as Kierkegaard said, really IS to will one
      thing. For the Benedictine, that one thing is God, union with God.

      A very old monastic principle, one more alive in the East today than in
      the West, held that whatever did not help one in the monastic quest
      was actually harmful. Under that theory, there was no middle ground
      of neutrality. It helped you become a better monastic or it didn't.
      If it didn't, it wasn't considered extraneous, it was considered
      harmful, even evil. Since St. Benedict doesn't say that things heard
      from outside "can" cause great harm, but rather that they flat out do
      cause it, it may be to this earlier concept that he refers.

      We live in a world so flooded with media, with input, that it would astound
      a person of St. Benedict's time, even one with no taste for monastic life!
      Let us frankly face the fact, beloveds, that ALL of that information is not
      even good, let alone useful. Much of it is heavily biased towards a secularist
      worlview and some of it is even false.

      We are so immersed in the barrage that we have
      often become indiscriminate, indifferent to it. We must develop and
      hone and reclaim that skill to sift and avoid the useless or harmful.
      We must be mindful and examine the amount and genuine worth of media
      exposure we allow ourselves. The sky is not the limit here.

      Our lives and vocations are so varied and our differences are so
      wide, but our quest is the same. Somehow, each of us, in every
      milieu, has to find a way to carve out a little bit of that isolation
      for ourselves. I love Ann McPhillips' phrase: "gatekeepers of our
      hearts." Face it, we live in an age where we can easily be in touch
      with virtually everything and that is not always good for us.

      It's about focus, it's about the times in one's life that one must
      carve out for oneself, times in which "only one thing is needful."
      When a cacophony of things becomes prominent, purity of heart is drowned
      out. Maybe we have noisy families or lives, maybe we honestly cannot
      get the respite we seek. That's when we have to really struggle to
      build it in our hearts, to find God, as St. Teresa of Avila did, among
      the pots and pans.

      Our hearts may, in truth, be the only monasteries we have, the only
      gates we shall ever keep, but that does not matter. God knew from all
      eternity exactly the environments and times in which we would have to
      seek Him and He tailor-made them for us, even though in the midst of them,
      that may be hard to see at the time. "He knows what He is about," as Cardinal
      Newman said. We need to build that "one thing needful" as a place within us. For
      many
      of us, that will be the only desert to which we can ever fly.

      One last pointer for the news you DO watch or listen to or read: do so
      with prayer, make it lead to prayer. We have become more or less
      immune to horrible tragedy unfolding before us. Lose that immunity. Saying
      "Tsk, tsk..." helps no one. Say a prayer, say lots of prayers for those
      whose horror becomes the grist of news mills.

      Message 238 of 238 , Sep 28

        +PAX

        Prayers for the Benedictine Nuns of the Congregation of Ste. Bathilde, having their General Chapter, for guidance from the Holy Spirit for all.

        Prayers for Louis, having kidney surgery.

        Prayers for Paul, having serious back surgery.