Holy Rule for Apr. 22

    Message 1 of 236 , Apr 21, 2012

      Please pray for the women religious of the United States at this time, that they may be able to listen to the voice of God's Spirit with both fidelity and courage as they seek to follow Jesus in working for the reign of God through justice and peace. May the same Spirit guide the leaders of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious and Archbishop Sartain with wisdom, compassion, and pure hearts.

      Prayers, please for Don who has been having eye trouble, that the Doctors can get it handled, and prayers for his son who is on life-support for a surgery induced MRSA which has reached his brain. The prognosis is uncertain at this time.

      Prayers, please, for John, recently unemployed, and permanently disabled, that he can find some new job that will work with his limitations, and prayers for his teenage son who has missed school for two weeks now with migraines that haven't responded to treatment yet.

      Prayers for Ricky, on life support after a car accident.

      Prayers for Randie, having a biopsy.

      Prayers for a woman whose brain tumor did not respond to chemo, now having radiation.

      Please pray that Elaine's job is safe and her position is not one of the positions being cut.

      grace.

      Chapter 65: On the Prior of the Monastery

      It happens all too often that the constituting of a Prior
      gives rise to grave scandals in monasteries.
      For there are some who become inflated with the evil spirit of pride
      and consider themselves second Abbots.
      By usurping power
      they foster scandals and cause dissensions in the community.
      Especially does this happen
      in those places where the Prior is constituted
      by the same Bishop or the same Abbots
      who constitute the Abbot himself.
      What an absurd procedure this is
      can easily be seen;
      for it gives the Prior an occasion for becoming proud
      from the very time of his constitution,
      by putting the thought into his mind
      that he is freed from the authority of his Abbot:
      "For," he will say to himself, "you were constituted
      by the same persons who constitute the Abbot."
      From this source are stirred up envy, quarrels, detraction,
      rivalry, dissensions and disorders.
      For while the Abbot and the Prior are at variance,
      their souls cannot but be endangered by this dissension;
      and those who are under them,
      currying favor with one side or the other,
      go to ruin.
      The guilt for this dangerous state of affairs
      rests on the heads of those
      whose action brought about such disorder.

      REFLECTION

      When I read the line about those governed "currying favor with one
      side or the other," I thought immediately of the children of divorce.
      Children, however, are quite perceptive, and it is not just divorce,
      but any noticeable drift between parents that they will manipulate.
      That is why, in family and monastery, unity in authority is very
      important.

      St. Benedict tries to guarantee this by letting the Abbot choose his
      own Prior, parents can do it by a struggle to overcome their own
      personal differences for the good of the children. This is not to say
      that the parents can necessarily get over their problems, but that
      they must at least try to be consistent with the children, for the
      children's sakes. As St. Benedict points out, this choosing of sides
      in child or monastic, can lead to ruin.

      Why does it lead to ruin? Because manipulation to some degree puts us
      in charge of ourselves, something no child and very, very few
      monastics are strong enough to be. As St. Bernard of Clairvaux
      said: "The one who has himself for a master has a fool for a
      disciple."

      One reason we took obedience upon ourselves was our
      knowledge of our own weakness. This knowledge can fade and dim with
      time, we can be convinced we know better. That is a risky conclusion
      to make. Our obedience is a real protection from harm.

      Benedictines not only are not in charge of themselves, but, as the
      Holy Rule defines cenobitic community life, they "desire" this lack
      of control. They "desire to live under a Rule and an Abbot."

      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 21, 2012

        assassination.

        anyone who
        does not come on time