Holy Rule for Apr. 15

    Message 1 of 237 , Apr 14 6:11 AM
      +PAX

      A blessed Divine Mercy Sunday to all. Remember that Jesus promised St. Faustina that all who would receive Communion today and make a good Confession (that can be done earlier,) would receive a full remission of all punishment due to sin, in effect, restoring baptismal innocence. Don't forget to do a work of mercy, too, pray for the living and dead or some other work of mercy. Tell Jesus you trust in Him and in His Divine Mercy, that is our only hope and God's greatest attribute.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Susan, who died suddenly and for all her loved ones and all who mourn her.

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Herm, a World War II veteran, is in hospice with end-stage Alzheimer's and his systems are shutting down, for his happy death. Prayers also for his wife, Shirley, their family, church family, and caregivers.

      Hayley's Mom, in palliative care, for her happy death. Hayley just lost her Dad, so special prayers for his eternal rest and for Hayley, that she see God working in her life.

      continued prayers that Elaine's job be safe.

      Deo gratias, Myrna's dog, Max, did not have a tumor, prayers he gets his health back.

      Christopher a homeless man roaming the street with a shopping cart and asking God to send help. He appears to have mental health issues on top of his other problems. For Vickie that she find Christopher and give him the assistance he needs.

      Mary, for a very confusing work situation which has been exagerrated and could result in disciplinary action.

      Mike, cancer.

      Susan, kidney cancer which has spread to her blood.

      Deo gratias, Carol, for whom we prayed, thought to be dying, has rallied and may even go back to work. Continued prayers.

      Cas and Bev on their 32nd anniversary, many blessings and many more. Ad multos
      annos!

      Lord, help us
      all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      Chapter 61: How Pilgrim Monks Are To Be Received

      If a pilgrim monastic coming from a distant region
      wants to live as a guest of the monastery,
      let her be received for as long a time as she desires,
      provided she is content
      with the customs of the place as she finds them
      and does not disturb the monastery by superfluous demands,
      but is simply content with what she finds.
      If, however, she censures or points out anything reasonably
      and with the humility of charity,
      let the Abbess consider prudently
      whether perhaps it was for that very purpose
      that the Lord sent her.

      If afterwards she should want to bind herself to stability,
      her wish should not be denied her,
      especially since there has been opportunity
      during her stay as a guest
      to discover her character.

      REFLECTION

      We can get so used to our lives that we are blind to areas that could
      be improved. We can get so used to doing things one way that anything
      better is beyond us. Our routines which become sacrosanct are often
      not at all that holy!

      An outsider's objective view can let us see a good deal about
      ourselves. Some things we may want to change, some we may realize are
      fine as they are. Either way, the visitor can be a reality check of
      great worth.

      One of the Desert Fathers (forgive me for not recalling which one,)
      said that there is nothing so careful as a monk not living in his
      native land. That's very true for most of us, though part two of this
      chapter makes it clear that it's not true for everyone. When we
      visit, we want people to think the best of the home, the family, the
      land from which we came. It is this nobility of striving, this
      mindful courtesy that the Desert Father wished to praise. In fact, if
      I read it correctly, the implication was that it might even be better
      to be a monastic AWAY from one's native land for just those reasons.

      There is something striking here. Remember how badly the gyrovagues
      and Sarabaites were painted in the types of monks? Well, these were
      the wandering ones, and St. Benedict knew very well that a pilgrim
      monk at the door could be one of these sorts. He doesn't even mention
      it. He wants them to have a chance to do better, to be healed by
      community. If they blow it, fine, he's not going to lose a lot of
      sleep over it, but he does insist they be given a chance to improve.
      Given what the monastic world thought of gyrovagues and the like,
      that says a LOT for St. Benedict's tolerance and clemency.

      Not all of us are in cloisters, but all of us encounter others. The people
      we meet may be gyrovagues and Sarabaites, but they
      may not, too. We have to give them a chance to prove or reveal
      themselves. This is true of anyone we encounter. Snap judgments are
      not wise, they cheat us out of many gifts. Tread the middle way,
      always the middle way.

      Another thing to watch is the fact that we often may take any suggestions
      as criticism and bristle at the very mention of them. Often, criticism may
      have been the last thing the speaker intended, genuine charity may have
      been the only concern. There may be times when God intends the use
      of a person as His instrument in a critique He deems worthy. All of
      these things must be considered. The person we regard as a meddling
      annoyance could sometimes be God's tender and loving gift to us!

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.