Holy Rule for Apr. 10

    Message 1 of 237 , Apr 9, 2012
      +PAX

      Prayers for the eternal rest of the following, for all their loved ones and all who mourn them:

      Roannah, 94, and special prayers for her son and daughter-in-law.

      William Allen, 31, Dannaer Fields, 49 and 54-year-old Bobby Clark, who were shot and killed in Tulsa, Oklahoma on Good Friday. Prayers also for those who were shot and injured but are unnamed. Further prayers for the perpetrators that they may seek forgiveness and healing for their actions.

      all those killed in the Easter Sunday suicide bombing in Nigeria.

      Prayers for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Michael Lo Piccolo, back and neck spasms very painful.

      Sr. Lany Jo and the students and parents going with ther on a mission trip and for those they will serve.

      Tom, painful divorce.

      Deo gratias and thanks to the Blessed Mother, too, for Robert, doing very well.

      David, soon to be unemployed, has a very promising interview.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much.
      JL

      April 10, August 10, December 10

      Chapter 57: On the Artisans of the Monastery

      If there are artisans in the monastery,
      let them practice their crafts with all humility,
      provided the Abbot has given permission.
      But if any one of them becomes conceited
      over his skill in his craft,
      because he seems to be conferring a benefit on the monastery,
      let him be taken from his craft
      and no longer exercise it unless,
      after he has humbled himself,
      the Abbot again gives him permission.

      If any of the work of the craftsmen is to be sold,
      those responsible for the sale
      must not dare to practice any fraud.
      Let them always remember Ananias and Saphira,
      who incurred bodily death (Acts 5:1-11),
      lest they and all who perpetrate fraud
      in monastery affairs
      suffer spiritual death.
      And in the prices let not the sin of avarice creep in,
      but let the goods always be sold a little cheaper
      than they can be sold by people in the world,
      "that in all things God may be glorified" (1 Peter 4:11).

      REFLECTION

      My favorite quote from G. K. Chesterton is: "The artistic
      temperament is a disease which afflicts amateurs." Amen!!!

      The true artist is marked by humility, not because of low self-
      esteem, but because of a healthy dose of reality, a firm conviction
      that one's gift has been given by God and given with an eye to the
      service of all. Christian art, in any form, has no meaning at all
      outside of the glory of God and the betterment of the community.

      For an artisan to become proud about this would be as ludicrous as for a
      priest to be proud of his ability to consecrate, or a lay person proud
      of their ability to baptize. Sorry, folks! Doesn't come from us.
      Comes from God and we have to always remember our own littleness in
      receiving such wonders.

      A wrong attitude towards one's gift can quickly turn what God
      intended to be a boon to the Christian community into a very large
      and unmanageable human cross. Unfortunately, this sort of cross is
      not rare. Prima donnas of either gender are all too numerous!

      Art matters in communities, it must be treasured and held dear, because
      it is a gift from a loving God. But art must always and
      everywhere matter less than the people performing or enjoying it. The
      brothers and sisters come first, and they do so from a theological imperative
      of charity, much, much more intense than any human reason concept of art
      or canon of aesthetics. Dump on your brother or sister in the name of art and
      the result for the one dumping is pathetic, indeed.

      Furthermore, in one sense, the artist must matter least of all, must
      disappear
      behind the gift, must not insist on being thrust into a foreground spotlight.
      When a person does liturgy correctly, they vanish behind
      the veil of vesture and rubric. They become icon bearers and what is seen is no
      longer Pat or Jason, but acolyte and priest. It ought to be so with
      artists, but it ought to be so with any gift or skill God has
      graciously given us. "He must increase, I must decrease..."

      As soon as we forget that, our gift becomes a weight dragging us
      downwards to potentially ultimate loss, rather than helping us to
      ascend the heights. Good superiors can see this and stop it, but not all
      superiors have that knack! Let us pray that our gifts will always be focused
      by the wise and loving hand of some realist, to whom God has given
      the gift of loving truthfulness!

      Message 237 of 237 , Jun 10, 2016

        Matt and Bettie are celebrating 22 years of marriage, not 201 as they awful typo reads. I thought it was 21 years, but Matt kindly corrected my mistake.