Holy Rule for Oct. 31

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 30, 2011

      Thanks so much and prayers for Brian, an Oblate candidate of our house who was staying with us and did MUCH to help us get out from under around 19 inches of snow (according to Br. Vincent's estimate of snowfall.) Thanks, too, to all who prayed for us. Power went out only an hour or so in the middle of the early morning hours and the house didn't even get cold. God is good!

      Prayers for all who did lose power in the storm, for all who had their lives impacted negatively.

      March 1, July 1, October 31
      Chapter 24: What the Measure of Excommunication Should Be

      The measure of excommunication or of chastisement should correspond
      to the degree of fault, which degree is estimated by the judgment
      of the Abbess.

      If a sister is found guilty of lighter faults, let her be excluded
      from the common table. Now the program for one deprived of the
      company of the table shall be as follows: In the oratory she shall
      intone neither Psalm nor antiphon nor shall she recite a lesson
      until she has made satisfaction; in the refectory she shall take
      her food alone after the community meal,
      so that if they eat at the sixth hour, for instance, that sister
      shall eat at the ninth, while if they eat at the ninth hour she
      shall eat in the evening, until by a suitable satisfaction she
      obtains pardon.

      REFLECTION

      Let's face it, St. Benedict has a lot to say about excommunication-
      a clumsy term, perhaps, because people often assume it means
      excommunication from the Church, which is the only sense of the
      word we commonly have today. It does not, of course mean that, just
      a punishment of exclusion from certain community functions.

      Let's face something else, at least in this chapter. Fasting an
      extra three hours might not be lovely, but no intoning in choir?
      What bad news! Gosh... Even many of us who CAN sing would look at
      that as a nice break!

      And eating alone? Well, the extra fast wasn't great, but I sure
      missed that droning reader and the tedious book we've been reading.
      What awful luck!

      See the difference in perception a millennium or so can make? That
      may be a large part of why the penal code is not followed today:
      some of its punishments simply make little sense to modern
      monastics, some seem mean, and others (as above,) seem like
      downright vacations.

      The rest of this applies with great ease to family situations,
      marital situations and the workplace. Something must be gleaned
      from all this legislation for punishment: the one at fault must be
      told when something is wrong. That, after all, is the only reason
      for punishment, to be a wake up call.

      Unfortunately, the monastic hatred of personal confrontation
      endemic in our ranks assumes (because it is easiest to do so,)
      sufficient brilliance for all to sooner or later figure out that
      they are amiss. It just ain't so, folks, sorry! Things fester when
      they go ignored
      for years. Things that someone should have dealt with gently, but
      firmly and even summarily, in formation or childhood, torture the
      family in later years.

      Look, it is hard, VERY hard, to confront a predictably stubborn or
      difficult child or monastic or spouse or employee.
      It's easy to see why one would rather not do so. But the Holy Rule
      asks many things that are difficult of us, and this one is
      unquestionably
      for the good of all, both the offender and the offended.

      Please take very careful note, however, of the gentleness and real
      concern that is essential if such confrontations are to succeed.
      Explosive, violent tactics, harsh words and actions at the first
      hint of trouble are not the monastic way. There is charity, always
      charity first. If we must be sure of that selfless love in ourselves.
      Not every correction is morally necessary. When that is the case, we
      should often remain silent if we are not loving.

      Timing is important, too. Not every day or time is the best time to broach
      something difficult. One ought to be careful to avoid instant reactions
      that
      might do little good. One also ought to go to the person alone first, as
      the
      Gospel says. Instant rebukes in the presence of others are not the
      Gospel's
      way.

      We must avoid the false charity, (really just cowardice in polite
      drag,) that omits making these difficult corrections. It goes a
      long way to making everyone's life hellish in the future.

      Also, in workplace especially, bear in mind that the authority
      figure here is the abbot, not the rank and file. One dare not
      assume all those prerogatives as a peer and equal. Fraternal
      correction will get a chapter of its own later on, but it is not a
      mantle to be assumed lightly. We must beware of the other extreme:
      becoming universal policing agents for all and sundry. A tiny spark
      of Gestapo flickers in many of our all too human hearts. Do nothing
      to fan the flame!