Nov 16

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2002

      Chapter 38: On the Weekly Reader
      The meals of the sisters should not be without reading.
      Nor should the reader be
      anyone who happens to take up the book;
      but there should be a reader for the whole week,
      entering that office on Sunday.
      Let this incoming reader,
      after Mass and Communion,
      ask all to pray for her
      that God may keep her from the spirit of pride
      And let her intone the following verse,
      which shall be said three times by all in the oratory:
      "O Lord, open my lips,
      and my mouth shall declare Your praise."
      Then, having received a blessing,
      let her enter on the reading.

      And let absolute silence be kept at table,
      so that no whispering may be heard
      nor any voice except the reader's.
      As to the things they need while they eat and drink,
      let the sisters pass them to one another
      so that no one need ask for anything.
      If anything is needed, however,
      let it be asked for by means of some audible sign
      rather than by speech.
      Nor shall anyone at table presume to ask questions
      about the reading or anything else,
      lest that give occasion for talking;
      except that the Superior may perhaps wish
      to say something briefly for the purpose of edification.

      The sister who is reader for the week
      shall take a little ablution before she begins to read,
      on account of the Holy Communion
      and lest perhaps the fast be hard for her to bear.
      She shall take her meal afterwards
      with the kitchen and table servers of the week.

      The sisters are not to read or chant in order,
      but only those who edify their hearers.

      Father Bede and I are rather closely tied for the title of Bad Boy of
      the Refectory. Between us, we account for most of the knowing looks,
      jests and non-verbal signals during silent meals. If they don't break
      silence, they at least stretch it at times. I imagine there are some
      who wish we'd stop at times, but I think I know the reason Father
      Anselm, our superior, lets our antics continue. There is a lot of
      healthy love in playfulness.

      Some people, and I think especially some men, express affection by
      jest, by teasing. In fact, for some, that is the only way around
      their discomfort at expressing affectionate feelings! I personally
      love to be teased. It is a sign that I am loved, that I matter. Since
      it means so much to me, I often tease others, a projection of my own
      esteem for the activity that, alas, is not always shared!

      Silence in the refectory began with a rather close comparison to
      silence in Church: one fed the body, the other the soul. In some
      Athonite and Russian monasteries today there is still the tradition
      of a "trapeza" (Greek for "table",) Church, that is, one room serves
      both purposes. Of course, in the West, we moved completely away from
      that architectural tradition, so silence in the ref, though
      important, is not as sacrosanct as that of the choir!

      This isn't working out to be much of a reflection per se, but just a
      glimpse into the humanness of monastic life. Sometimes the matter
      being read is sufficiently boring to make one chew with incredible
      speed. (This is as Catch 22, however. The faster one eats, the more
      days it will take to finish the gem at hand....) When we were
      recently reading a document on consecrated life rich with Vaticanese,
      a bureaucratic jargon that could induce sleep faster than any
      narcotic known to science, there were ample opportunities for Fr.
      Bede and I to enjoy a bit of comic relief.

      At one pithy phrase about the crosses and burdens of life religious
      must be bear, I made a stage glance of sympathetic patronization to
      Br. Bernard on my left and knowingly patted his arm.... There are
      moments of love and laughter, even in silence! You may be certain
      that Father Bede, who heard the line as well as I did but wasn't
      sitting close enough to make use of it, was watching and cracked up.

      Love and prayers,

      Jerome, OSB jeromeleo@... St. Mary's Petersham, MA