Nov 17

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2002

      Chapter 39: On the Measure of Food
      We think it sufficient for the daily dinner,
      whether at the sixth or the ninth hour,
      that every table have two cooked dishes
      on account of individual infirmities,
      so that he who for some reason cannot eat of the one
      may make his meal of the other
      Therefore let two cooked dishes suffice for all the brethren;
      and if any fruit or fresh vegetables are available,
      let a third dish be added.

      Let a good pound weight of bread suffice for the day,
      whether there be only one meal or both dinner and supper.
      If they are to have supper,
      the cellarer shall reserve a third of that pound,
      to be given them at supper.

      But if it happens that the work was heavier,
      it shall lie within the Abbot's discretion and power,
      should it be expedient,
      to add something to the fare.
      Above all things, however,
      over-indulgence must be avoided
      and a monk must never be overtaken by indigestion;
      for there is nothing so opposed to the Christian character
      as over-indulgence
      according to Our Lord's words,
      "See to it that your hearts be not burdened
      with over-indulgence" (Luke 21:34).

      Young boys
      shall not receive the same amount of food as their elders,
      but less;
      and frugality shall be observed in all circumstances.

      Except the sick who are very weak,
      let all abstain entirely
      from eating the flesh of four-footed animals.

      REFLECTION

      I beg the forgiveness of those living outside those U.S. who receive
      this for dwelling on the dietary habits of my own country, but I
      think there is a message for all of us, to one degree or another
      therein. If nothing else, Americans can often serve as a very good
      negative example to those of other lands and cultures, sadly, in more
      than just food!

      Obesity and consumerism can go hand in hand, because they are
      different expressions of the same lie: you CAN get enough and it WILL
      make you happy. Things will fulfill you. Food is a thing. Whoops!
      Small wonder than a nation like my own that tops the charts in
      consumption is also right up there in terms of a populace being
      overweight.

      In the U.S. our attitudes to food are so badly skewed by consumerist
      culture that we are truly very spoiled. What most people would see as
      the simple addition of moderation to the menu we might view as a
      terrible fast of deprivation. We are the people who chant that "Too
      much is plenty." Well, it isn't. Too much of anything, food, or stuff
      or sex or free will is bad for one: that is the Benedictine message
      of moderation.

      Let me give my American comrades one or two simple suggestions. If
      you live in another land and have already been doing these things,
      indulge me. The bulk of the 800 or so people receiving this live in
      the States. For starters, try only water with meals. What?!?
      Unthinkable! I need a Coke! Hey, water hydrates you (hence the term!)
      better than anything else and it certainly cuts your caloric intake.
      Most of us do NOT drink enough water. Start trying.

      What about fat and cholesterol and fiber? I know, I know... Hey, look
      at how we can be all over the place to recycle and save the planet
      while cavalierly damaging our bodies, the ecosystems which are, after
      all, closest to us! Try, really try to do more of what is better for
      you. Face it, no matter what else is important, your care of yourself
      is likely to be more closely monitored by God than your concern over
      wetlands or whales... I often think that so much of the noble efforts
      in the direction of non-human, even non-animal life are displacement
      activities, at least partially in compensation for the dreadful job
      we do with our own bodies.

      Look, change is hard. Why do you think so many people find the Holy
      Rule harsh or mean? It is not; it is moderate and gentle and
      considerate of individual needs, even in this chapter. People find it
      mean because change is hard, and the Rule DOES insist on change. It
      does so because St. Benedict knew it was necessary to travel on the
      road to God we have chosen. However, please remember that even change
      must be moderate and gradual. Try to start eating fat-free sawdust
      and nothing but tomorrow and you are quite likely to be discouraged,
      overwhelmed and fall out of the fight. That, alas, is just what Satan
      wants. Discouragement is usually her strongest weapon!

      Love and prayers,

      Jerome, OSB jeromeleo@... St. Mary's Petersham, MA