Missed Oct. 20

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2011
      For reasons unknown, the post did not go out to these two lists. I am sorry. JL

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and phisical health of the following, please, and for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Fr. McAlear, degenerative arthritis of the spine.

      Carl, who passed away yesterday. He lived a long life-had much material success and had the wisdom and humility to share it with so many people less fortunate than himself.
      Vicky, who has battled cancer for years and is now at Stage-Four and going through chemotherapy. Prayers for her, her spouse and family who are worried and caring for her.

      Craig, who's condition makes it difficult to succeed socially and academically in a traditional school setting-and for his mother and brother who are helping him navigate these challenges.

      Linda, 42 year old mother of three young children and has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She starts chemo on Friday. Three treatments then surgery followed by twelve more chemo treatments. For God's perfect will and care for her and her family.

      Krystal, to accept and make good use of life with increasing neurological problems for which there is no further treatment. Thqanks to the Lord for providing her with her steadfast and loving husband of 37 years who truly lives his middle name, Joseph; and for the good doctors in her life! May God forever bless them!

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Gretchen, who passed away unexpectedly last Sunday, and for her husband Ken and their family and friends and all who mourn her.

      Chapter 16: How the Work of God Is to Be Performed During the Day

      "Seven times in the day," says the Prophet, "I have rendered praise
      to You" (Ps. 118:164).
      Now that sacred number of seven will be fulfilled by us if we
      perform the Offices of our service at the time of the Morning
      Office, of Prime, of Terce, of Sext, of None, of Vespers and of
      Compline, since it was of these day Hours that he said, "Seven
      times in the day I have rendered praise to You." For as to the
      Night Office the same Prophet says, "In the middle of the night I
      arose to glorify You" (Ps. 118:62).

      Let us therefore bring our tribute of praise to our Creator "for
      the judgments of His justice" (Ps. 118:164) at these times: the
      Morning Office, Prime, Terce, Sext, None,
      Vespers and Compline; and in the night let us arise to glorify Him.

      Tucked neatly into all this business of naming and counting the
      Hours of the Divine Office comes the actual reason we go to choir
      or say the Office alone. It is "our tribute of praise to our
      Creator 'for the judgments of His justice' "

      OK, tribute, praise, glorify, all those things are familiar enough
      to us, but the zinger here is "for the judgments of His justice."
      Whoops! A lot fall out on that one! Whether we realize it or not,
      the reason we praise God as Benedictines is to thank Him for ALL
      His decisions in regard to us. That isn't easy, but it is terribly
      valid and terribly necessary.

      We thank God- admittedly sometimes with gritted teeth- for all the
      things that did and DIDN'T work out the way we wanted them, for
      every acceptance and every rejection that brought us to be as we
      find ourselves today, in His arms, even when we cannot feel His
      arms. The jobs we didn't get, the great loves which were not
      reciprocal, the course we flunked, the kids that went wrong, the
      illness that dogs us, the spouse we should never have gone out with
      twice, the unwanted pregnancy, the miscarriage, EVERYTHING that has
      shaped our lives and persons is something we thank God for in the

      I mention only the difficult things, because anybody can be
      thankful that the apparently great stuff worked out. Nor am I
      saying all the bad stuff is God's fault, or that it's our own
      fault, but ALL of it is turned to good by God, and that is worth
      singing about! All of
      it! If we look back honestly, we can see the hand of His goodness
      in the darkest times, we can see it in NOT having our way, we can
      see it in everything.

      Since the way God turns all to good is a mystery we shall never
      know fully in this life, we cannot adequately say much of anything
      but thanks and praise, the stammered joy of someone who has
      received a really great gift and is astounded at such generosity.
      Thanks, God. And hey, You really DID know what You were doing all
      along, didn't You?

      Own it, beloveds, God's will truly IS best. All is really mercy and
      grace! All! And, uh, oh yeah- Alleluia!!!!!!!!!