Sept. 17

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2003

      Fran, for whom we prayed while she was in ICU, is now in hospice and
      seems quite close to death. Prayers for her happy death, please.
      God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much! JL

      But if anyone should presume to do so,
      At the same time,
      and in observance of the Rule,
      knowing that beyond a doubt
      to God, the most just Judge.

      be of lesser importance,
      It is written,
      "Do everything with counsel,

      little gem urges ALL monastics not to follow their "own heart's
      fancy."

      Follow that one and peace abounds! For one thing, whether abbot or
      relationship ceases to become self. None of us are anywheres near the

      This is so important to monastic struggle because it is so
      intricately interwoven with detachment and holy indifference. We must
      learn how to hold onto our inner peace, how to safeguard it from
      damage at the hands of trivia. At that point of recognizing trivia,
      truth and therefore, humility and divinity itself, since Jesus is the
      Truth, enter into the equation.

      We need very good "crap detectors" if we are to see and embrace the
      Truth and their default setting must be aimed at ourselves, rarely
      cast elsewhere except in cases of really great need. We can keep
      those crap detectors more than amply busy just in our own hearts
      and wills!

      We need to know deception, falsity, trivia, but it is essential to
      know them first in ourselves. If these good tools of detection are
      aimed only at others, the result will be pride and a fall, not
      humility and truth. Jesus said "I am the Truth," and to Him we must
      prefer nothing. Hence, our first desire must always be the truth and
      the truth is most usually that the earth does not revolve around us
      as an axis! The truth is humility.

      Our age, particularly, has embraced the pap of "Follow your bliss!"
      I thought my "bliss" would be to be married to an attorney and having
      drinks by the pool. No doubt there may be some who wish I had
      followed that one, but how different my life would have been had I
      done so!

      How many stories do we hear of people in the wrong profession because
      of parental "bliss" that they followed? It can be wrong, very wrong
      to impose our bliss on others. Neither communities nor individuals
      exist to fulfill our wishes and dreams. Monastics are called to
      forsake their own wills, not to push them forward as an all-important
      agenda.

      bliss when we are in the midst of following it, but we frequently
      have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into that compliance!

      And sometimes our bliss IS the right thing- even a stopped clock is
      right twice a day- but those sometimes are impossible to predict. Not
      every desire of our heart is a sign of vocation, so be careful and
      pray to discern. And, let us be frank, few people carry stopped
      watches because of their twice daily usefulness!