Brother Jerome's Reflection: Oct 6

  • michael_oblate (aka carmelitanum)
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2011

      Please pray for safe travel and a pleasant return for our good Brother Jerome.

      Please pray for Margaret who was in a serious car accident on Monday morning. She is out of danger but has a long recovery ahead of her.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All
      is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The eighth degree of humility
      is that a monk do nothing except what is commended
      by the common Rule of the monastery
      and the example of the elders.

      REFLECTION

      Well, this one looks deceptively simple enough. Just try it! I speak
      as one who has frequently failed it and who sometimes* fails it
      still. [* I only fail it on special occasions: Sunday, Monday,
      Tuesday, Wednesday.... you get the picture.] This step of humility,
      by the way, will translate very easily into family life, the
      neighborhood, or the workplace.

      The goal here is not just external uniformity so much as internal
      detachment. We are deeply attached to the things we do. Demanding to
      do things our own way is not humble. When observers come to the
      monastery, for the monks or the nuns, I often see little quirks of
      external piety in church and think: "Well, that'll have to go..."

      One cannot profitably go through monastic formation cherishing the
      notion that one has got it right and one's elders have it wrong. You
      may even be right, or the matter may be completely neutral. (The
      term "optional" comes to mind, but that was NOT used to express
      neutrality; in the 60's and 70's it was a euphemism for "abolished."!)
      That's not the issue here. Detachment and humility are.

      When we singularize ourselves without real moral imperative, the
      message given to the whole community is "I know better." That this is
      not warmly received in a junior or newcomer should come as no
      surprise. A monastic family is like any spouse: you had better not
      marry what you hope to change them into, but only what they ARE. If
      we fail this, we change "Thy will be done" into "MY will be done!"
      and we do so with sorry results.

      No spouse is perfect, neither is any family, monastery or job, but if
      you expect to change them right off the bat, you're doomed to woe. In
      monastery and marriage and workplace, the only person you can REALLY
      change is yourself and the sooner you get around to doing that, the
      better for all concerned.

      The sad thing is that sometimes these things
      we do on our own have nothing to do with piety at all. They are,
      pure and simple, revolt, passive aggression, small, though very
      public ways of expressing our scorn for this or that concept or
      person.

    • carmelitanum
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2014

        Please continue to pray for healing and recovery for our good Brother Jerome.

        Pray for the happy death and eternal repose of the soul of Father Benedict Groeschel, co-founder of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, whose body died on Friday, October 3rd, the Vigil (transitus) of his patron, St. Francis of Assissi. and may God comfort his Community and all who mourn him.

        Please pray for Pearl and Tom.  She is moving with Tom to South Carolina, and is under a tremendous amount of stress.  Tom requires a lot of medical assistance, and has upcoming pacemaker surgery.  Prayers for peace and God's love to bring calmness to Pearl, as well as clarity into what she needs to do.

        Please pray for Maureen. She is going on a pilgrimage that requires walking and climbing and her knee is bothering her.

        Prayers please for Genna,10, making her 1st Holy Communion today, Oct. 5th.