Sept. 13

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2003

      Thanks for your prayers for all our intentions. An update on my AZT:
      I had to quit, it was just too awful. Feeling better now and giving
      my system a rest, then we'll look at other agents, other combos.

      And, as for the chickens, well, they are eagerly awaiting my feeling
      better and getting off retreat this week so that I can finish
      extending their run. Lovely, beautiful birds, a healing joy in
      themselves! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks again!
      JL

      In her teaching
      the Abbess should always follow the Apostle's formula:
      "Reprove, entreat, rebuke" (2 Tim. 4:2);
      threatening at one time and coaxing at another
      as the occasion may require,
      showing now the stern countenance of a mistress,
      now the loving affection of a mother.
      That is to say,
      it is the undisciplined and restless
      whom she must reprove rather sharply;
      it is the obedient, meek and patient
      whom she must entreat to advance in virtue;
      while as for the negligent and disdainful,
      these we charge her to rebuke and correct.
      And let her not shut her eyes to the faults of offenders;
      but, since she has the authority,
      let her cut out those faults by the roots
      as soon as they begin to appear,
      remembering the fate of Heli, the priest of Silo (1 Kings 2-4).
      The well-disposed and those of good understanding
      let her correct with verbal admonition the first and second time.
      But bold, hard, proud and disobedient characters
      she should curb at the very beginning of their ill-doing
      by stripes and other bodily punishments,
      knowing that it is written,
      "the fool is not corrected with words" (Prov. 18:2; 29:19),
      and again,
      "Beat your son with the rod,
      and you will deliver his soul from death"(Prov. 23:13-14).

      REFLECTION

      I'll bet that all of us has, at one time or another, had to deal with
      someone whose initial response to virtually everyone was a sharp,
      full-force rebuke. That tends to stun people with its severity, a
      severity which is out of line, or we wouldn't be surprised at all! I
      clearly recall nurses I worked with over 20 years who took that
      tactic. What I find interesting is that, in most cases, while I
      remember their faces in that unlovely, acerbic scorn of unmerited
      rebuke, I have completely forgotten their names. Sad, isn't it? But
      predictable.

      There are three provisions here: "reprove, entreat, rebuke." They
      have the weight of Scripture as well as that of the Holy Rule. All
      three are necessary and, except for the most truly extraordinary
      cases, all three are necessary in that order.

      I think most monastic people who have been listening to God and truly
      examining themselves tend to be gentle. That's fine, but stopping
      permanently at either of the gentle points can win one the disgust of
      a community in a big hurry. We tend to pity impotence for a while,
      then we come to loathe it. The Truth we look at, look for and strive
      to learn absolutely demands that when needed, our authority will have
      teeth, no matter how unpleasant that may be to us.

      To exercise that rebuke factor all the time, or because one really
      gets off on it, is sick in the extreme. To fail it out of reticence
      or distaste is a terrible failure in self-control, self-denial and
      ascesis. We need all three modes in our tool kits. Were that not the
      case, the Holy Spirit would have never bothered to aid both Sts. Paul
      and Benedict in putting them there!