Sept. 10

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2003

      Prayers, please, for Dunstan, recurrent kidney stone problems, and
      for the will of God in Tracey's search for prison ministry. Also for
      my friend, Fr. Vincent, of St. Leo Abbey. It's his death anniversary.
      God's will is best! All is mercy and grace. Thanks! NRN JL

      Let the Abbess always bear in mind
      that at the dread Judgment of God
      there will be an examination of these two matters:
      her teaching and the obedience of her disciples.
      And let the Abbess be sure
      that any lack of profit
      the master of the house may find in the sheep
      will be laid to the blame of the shepherd.
      On the other hand,
      if the shepherd has bestowed all her pastoral diligence
      on a restless, unruly flock
      and tried every remedy for their unhealthy behavior,
      then she will be acquitted at the Lord's Judgment
      and may say to the Lord with the Prophet:
      "I have not concealed Your justice within my heart;
      Your truth and Your salvation I have declared" (Ps. 39:11).
      "But they have despised and rejected me" (Is. 1:2; Ezech. 20:27).
      And then finally let death itself, irresistible,
      punish those disobedient sheep under her charge.

      If you are a parent or a boss or a teacher or a minister, ordained or
      not, please look very carefully at something in this chapter: we will
      be judged on our teaching. The complete obedience of those under our
      care is not entirely up to us, but our teachings are very much in our
      own hands.

      Tremendous harm has been done by people in authority, any authority,
      teaching things that are false to those they serve, whether
      implicitly or explicitly. Tremendous harm is risked by teaching one's
      own subjective opinion on important matters of faith or morals. One
      MAY be right, but then again, not necessarily so.

      This is not simply a feeling issue here at all. Whatever the seeming
      drawbacks of the teachings of one's Church, they have a weight of
      tradition and communal reflection and the care of the Holy Spirit
      behind them. Our subjective, personal feelings cannot equal that.

      Orthodoxy, truth, has very, very wide skirts. If we know that and
      understand it, it is NOT terribly difficult to get everyone, one way
      or the other, under those skirts. It CAN be done.

      On the other hand making extensive dress alterations that we
      ourselves feel are suitable is not as appropriate as some may deem.
      In a job situation, it could cost both you and the unfortunates who
      believed you the loss of employment. In religious matters, the price
      could be considerably higher, the risk greater.

      Whenever we are in any position to teach by word or example, we must
      be very, very careful that what we give as Gospel is not a thinly
      disguised version of our own current hang-ups. People deserve far
      more than that and so do we!

      Love and prayers,
      Jerome OSB
      Petersham, MA 01366