Sept. 9

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2003

      Prayers for Elizabeth, whose death anniversary was yesterday. God's
      will is best. All is mercy and grace. Thanks so much! JL

      An Abbess who is worthy to be over a monastery
      should always remember what she is called,
      and live up to the name of Superior.
      For she is believed to hold the place of Christ in the monastery,
      being called by a name of His,
      which is taken from the words of the Apostle:
      "You have received a Spirit of adoption ...,
      by virtue of which we cry, 'Abba -- Father'" (Rom. 8:15)!

      Therefore the Abbess ought not to teach or ordain or command
      anything which is against the Lord's precepts;
      on the contrary,
      her commands and her teaching
      should be a leaven of divine justice
      kneaded into the minds of her disciples.

      REFLECTION

      "An Abbess who is worthy..." Take a quick look at all the Holy Rule
      says about the Abbot and everybody who thinks they'd be worthy, line
      up now. Hopefully, there will be no takers. If you did get in line,
      maybe we can see about some professional help..

      NO ONE is worthy of those lofty things, they are gifts. Just as no
      one is worthy of the loving trust of a child for its parent, or the
      loyalty of an employee for a boss. God gives all our offices of
      authority special gifts. We may not know that, we may not use them,
      but they are there.

      As Benedictines, we particularly believe that God gives special
      graces to the Abbot to enable him to guide us. This is not at all to
      say that he is infallible, or that he is bright and certainly not
      that he is perfect. What it does say is that God's love for all those
      the Abbot guides becomes focused on him in grace and gift to do God
      (and us!) proud!

      It can be a REAL test of faith to see God's will coming to one
      through a person whose frailty one knows all too well. Nevertheless,
      I have seen it happen again and again. I am in no way tempted to try
      to describe HOW or WHY it happens, but it does. It's grace. It is, in
      a sense, a miracle. But then, so is everything, when one stops to
      really think of it.

      St. Faustina Kowalska (+1938) said that the Lord told her in one of
      her visions: "...all creatures, whether they know it or not, and
      whether they want to or not, always fulfill My will." OK, I know
      that's private revelation, but so are a lot of popular ideas. I
      believe that one and find it a great comfort. Don't ask me how that
      works with free will, I'm not prepared to venture a guess. But it
      does resonate very consistently will St. Paul's saying that, for
      those who love God, all things work together for good.