September 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2003

      Big goof! I got the date wrong. Must have been providential. I'll
      send out the proper one tomorrow.

      Prayers, please, for Linda, breast biopsy today at 11AM EDT, prayers,
      too, for our unusually full guesthouse this weekend. May all have a
      time of holiness and joy! God's will is best. ALL ismercy and grace.
      Thanks so much!
      NRN JL

      By the way, many who receive this ask how the chickens are doing.
      They are fine, their temporary run is soon to be enlarged and they
      are happy in their own chicken house, thanks to a LOT of help from
      chicken-funders and Ben Bennett ( a reader AND carpenter who is
      local,) and Brother Vincent. I have been brooding 11 for a friend on
      Cape Cod (another reader,) and Joy is coming to pick up her flock
      today. All are just over six weeks old and turning into teenaged
      chickens beautifully. Not one died in brooding and that is rare, so
      thanks for your prayers!! JL

      January 6, May 7, September 6
      Prologue

      So we have asked the Lord
      who is to dwell in His tent,
      and we have heard His commands
      to anyone who would dwell there;
      it remains for us to fulfill those duties.

      Therefore we must prepare our hearts and our bodies
      to do battle under the holy obedience of His commands;
      and let us ask God
      that He be pleased to give us the help of His grace
      for anything which our nature finds hardly possible.
      And if we want to escape the pains of hell
      and attain life everlasting,
      then, while there is still time,
      while we are still in the body
      and are able to fulfill all these things
      by the light of this life,
      we must hasten to do now
      what will profit us for eternity.

      REFLECTION

      The first section of the Prologue asked us to seek God's blessing
      before doing any work. Today we are asked to prepare our hearts and
      bodies for the struggles ahead and ask God for His help. Both of
      these precepts are quite nicely filled by making the Morning
      Offering. Now I know that is a Roman Catholic prayer, and I also know
      we have (thanks be to God!) many Oblates of other faiths among us.
      Bear with me, please. I think this has applications for everyone.

      The morning offering is considered rather passe in some Roman
      Catholic circles. One actually wonders why, in an age that loves
      computers with tons of memory, hard drives that do all the work for
      us, even more work than our own minds could dream of doing.

      I have 9300 names in a data base I built on royal genealogy, a
      favorite hobby. One click and a few seconds will tell me how any two
      of them are related, even up to mind-boggling relationships like
      eighteenth cousin three times removed. It will start at a point like
      that and then list all lesser relationships, until common ancestors
      are all depleted. No way I could EVER do that. The morning offering,
      however, makes computer ability look like shooting fish in a barrel.

      The morning offering is the perfect capstone, cornerstone and
      beginning for a great life of intercessory prayer. It unites the
      poverty of our own lives, prayers, works, joys and sufferings with
      those of Christ, with those of His Mystical Body. It plunges the
      finite smallness of our own actions into sea after sea of infinite
      grace and perfection and, wrapped in that awesome completeness,
      offers them to the Father in the perhaps most perfect personal gift
      we could ever hope for that day, short of martyrdom itself.

      Ever forget to pray during the day? The morning offering makes our
      very heartbeats and breathing prayers, means of grace for ourselves
      and for all. We have offered ALL our works, even the unconscious ones
      of our bodies to God, and we have offered them in union with the most
      perfect sacrifice of Jesus. With a gift tag like that, the Father is
      quite likely to be pleased, indeed. Each time we blink, or eat,
      suffer or rejoice, we link that to Christ on His Cross. None of us
      have enough bytes of memory to really do that (I have forgotten about
      it at least three times while writing this sentence!)

      The morning offering is our "hard drive" it is the program that saves
      to disk and runs automatically. I know that might sound like nothing
      better than a prayer wheel, but face it, how many times do our minds
      wonder when we ARE praying voally, rendering us quite like the prayer
      wheels also? If God counts distractions at prayer, as one of the
      Desert Fathers noted, none can be saved! Knowing that I am often no
      better than a prayer wheel spun mindlessly is a great and humbling
      truth. Reality check there!

      Our baptism into the Mystical Body gives us the right to plug into
      that infinite worth. It would be a shame if we missed the
      opportunity. Let me tell you, with complete sincerity, that all the
      works of my entire life couldn't save a flea from drowning in a
      raindrop. No way. Buried within the depths of Christ, however, their
      value becomes literally infinite.

      Ever feel bad that you forgot to pray for some one who asked, or only
      whispered a quick: "Lord, help her."? The morning offering makes our
      life and our prayer an infinite pie, one which can never be sliced
      too thin. Counting huge groups and individuals, I pray every single
      day for literally billions of people and not one of them is short-
      changed at all.

      That's the marvel of uniting our lives and heart daily to Christ.
      Every slice of the pie gets served on the plate of His infinity,
      every single one. Cloaked in the perfect mercy and offering of Jesus,
      every single act, even the keys I just struck and the mouse I just
      moved are wonderful prayers for all, for everyone throughout time.
      That's not shabby, folks!

      Ever wish that your heart prone to largesse had all the money in the
      world? How generous you would be! But, with the morning offering, you
      have daily more than that. Claim your infinite share and spread it
      around! Name people and groups, sure, but know that God has a memory
      that never quits. You can say: for all people in all time" and it
      WILL count! Heavens, I pray for all Oblates (among lots of other
      groups every day. Not only could I not name them, I don't even know
      them, nor is it possible for ANYONE to know them all throughout time.
      But God does, and it counts!) There is no one reading this for whom I
      have not prayed every single day, many by name, but it doesn't
      matter. God is my hard drive! I have prayed for the next new guest
      who arrives for a first visit for literally years, every single day.
      The morning offering is a very neat method!

      Look, folks, it's a Roman Catholic prayer. I'll give you a version of
      it at the end of this post, but there are many others. I KNOW that
      some of our Oblates from other Churches may have to amend it a bit
      and that's OK, go for what God and your heart allows. I think,
      however, that all Christians could agree on at least these
      essentials. (Someone please correct me here, if I am wrong.) Offer
      all your prayers, works, joys and sufferings in union with those of
      Christ, for the intentions of Christ, for all the Church and its
      leaders, for all people throughout time. Say it any way your heart
      allows, but do at least this much and congratulations: you have just
      thrust your own prayers and works and joys and sufferings into the
      very heart of the Cosmos, into the whole of history itself. You now
      stand beside Christ in HIS perfect work in every age. WOOOOF!
      And please remember me!

      MORNING OFFERING

      O my Jesus, I offer You this day my prayers, works, joys and
      sufferings, for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart and Divine
      Mercy, in union with every sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world
      and with all the prayers, works, joys and sufferings of Your Mystical
      Body throughout time, in reparation for our sins and in thanksgiving
      for all Your benefits. I offer them for the Pope and all Church
      leaders, for the unity of all Christians.

      (Now you can add your own intentions- don't be stingy here, you have
      infinity! I always end my own list with: for everyone and everything
      throughout time, created by Your hands, I offer You my life, in
      holocaust for these and for Your will for them.)

      End with: Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto
      Yours. Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in You.