Holy Rule for Mar. 23

    Message 1 of 138 , Mar 22, 2011

      Hillary, a blogger just diagnosed with cancer.

      Archbp. Daniel Buechlein, OSB, who suffered a mild stroke.

      Frank, 90's, for whom we have prayed, he did have his leg amputated and now faces rehab. His family thanks all who prayed and continued prayers, please, for Frank and his family.

      Duane, suffering with liver cancer, and his wife, Anne, may they feel the love and comfort
      of Jesus and of the people who care about them, and for healing as God wills.

      Christopher, that God grant him a fulfilling job, soon.

      For D, having a terrible time with sexual addiction and same sex attraction.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Elaine's Dad, on his birthday.

      anyone who
      does not come on time
      If then he does not amend,
      and made to eat alone,
      at the verse said after the meal.

      REFLECTION

      It is terribly important for families to eat together. St. Benedict
      knew this 1,500 years ago and things have not changed that much in
      human nature since his time. The links between members are restored
      at a shared meal. Small wonder that Jesus left us a Meal as His
      legacy to remember Him by and to unite us all.

      I can hear the groans from Oblates in families that schedules
      conflict and how can this be possible. I assure you, I do not know,
      especially since I don't know all the ins and outs of anyone's
      personal situation. I do know, however, that a family meal is so
      important that it must be worked into one's life somehow. Once a week
      is better than nothing, but even that is far too little. Every day
      might be out of the picture, but it ought to be the ideal.

      Sometimes we need to get a firm grip on what is most important. That
      might mean we have to help our children get real, as well. Being
      children, they ought not to be expected to have a tool kit capable of
      enabling any and all decisions on their own. I know and love one
      family whose soccer and hockey schedules ruin much of the year. I
      worry about them, I truly do.

      The parents make at least a better than average attempt to go to
      Church, but I am in no way certain that survives either sports
      season. Hey, I know kids get invested and I know it is hard to say
      no, but Sunday? Shot? For most of the year? God can wait, hockey
      can't? Not only is a terrible religious message being given here, but
      a very false message is given to each of the two athletes as well:
      the world revolves around you. Everything stops when you have a game.
      Well, not exactly, nor is that the best idea to turn a kid loose on
      the world with.

      Make no mistake, parents DO form their kids in a religion they care
      about. Unfortunately, if that religion is sports, the message comes through loud
      and clear.

      A while back opening day for the Boston Red Sox fell on Good Friday. There
      was a huge (and very embarrassing push!) for the Archdiocese to dispense fans
      from meat abstinence on that day so they could have a hot dog at the game. I
      am not making this up, but I wish I were. Good Friday or the Red Sox, where is
      one's heart? I am glad the Archdiocese did not bend.

      Reclaiming Sunday is not some hyped up Benedictine idea. It is
      Christian. Our faith itself demands that we get rest and some time
      together, hopefully for prayer! It would seem that, if one was to be
      firm anywhere, on any day of the week, Sunday might be the place to
      start. Frankly, if the child gripes that everyone else does it, this
      would offer a particularly apt time to convey the message that we are
      not like everyone else, nor are we supposed to be. That's part of
      being Christian..

      Heavens, my Jewish friends grew up with a far better
      sense of who they were than many Christian (or post-Christian!) kids
      get today. And their Sabbath was SATURDAY. Now that cut
      into more than a few things. But there was a great, great lesson
      available there for those kids. Pity the ones who missed it.

      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/
      Petersham, MA

      .

      Message 138 of 138 , Apr 10, 2011

        Prayers for Fr. E., discerning a vocation to religious life.

        Lord, help us all as You know and will.
        Thanks so much. JL

        When anyone is newly come for the reformation of her life,
        let her not be granted an easy entrance;
        but, as the Apostle says,
        "Test the spirits to see whether they are from God."
        If the newcomer, therefore, perseveres in her knocking,
        and if it is seen after four or five days
        that she bears patiently the harsh treatment offered her
        and the difficulty of admission,
        and that she persists in her petition,
        then let entrance be granted her,
        and let her stay in the guest house for a few days.

        After that let her live in the novitiate,
        where the novices study, eat and sleep.
        A senior shall be assigned to them who is skilled in winning souls,
        to watch over them with the utmost care.
        Let her examine whether the novice is truly seeking God,
        and whether she is zealous
        for the Work of God, for obedience and for trials.
        Let the novice be told all the hard and rugged ways
        by which the journey to God is made.

        If she promises stability and perseverance,
        then at the end of two months
        let this rule be read through to her,
        and let her be addressed thus:
        "Here is the law under which you wish to fight.
        If you can observe it, enter;
        if you cannot, you are free to depart."
        If she still stands firm,
        let her be taken to the above-mentioned novitiate
        and again tested in all patience.
        And after the lapse of six months let the Rule be read to her,
        that she may know on what she is entering.
        And if she still remains firm,
        after four months let the same Rule be read to her again.

        Then, having deliberated with herself,
        if she promises to keep it in its entirety
        and to observe everything that is commanded,
        let her be received into the community.
        But let her understand that,
        according to the law of the Rule,
        from that day forward she may not leave the monastery
        nor withdraw her neck from under the yoke of the Rule
        which she was free to refuse or to accept
        during that prolonged deliberation.

        REFLECTION

        The most important thing that St. Benedict asks of all of us on
        entrance into the monastic way is whether we truly seek God. Whether
        Abbot Primate or newest Oblate novice, that is what we are asked by
        the Holy Rule. It is a question we shall be asked for the rest of our
        lives, and one to which we must strive (and often struggle!) to say yes,
        again and again, day after day.

        "Quaeremus inventum," said St. Augustine: "Let us seek Him Whom we
        have found." In truth a certain "finding" of God is necessary to whet
        our appetite, to lead us to seek Him more deeply. Once that happens,
        however, we can go on seeking God for the rest of time and eternity
        and never get to the end of His infinite love and mercy. Even in
        heaven the journey will go on, with us always being creature and Him
        always loving Creator. We will never end our quest, but we will love
        it, we will never reach the essence of God, but that will never
        frustrate us in heaven. It's an adventure we shall love.

        If we do not seek God, there is no point whatever in becoming a monastic.
        St. Bernard once said something to the effect that, if one is going to go to
        hell, one should choose the broad way of the world, where at least there
        is comfort of a sort on the way, not the narrow way of the monastery, where
        one would go from hard life to hell. I haven't paraphrased him too well, but
        I hope it is clear enough. No one should waste time with monastic life if
        they
        are not seeking God, seeking to go deeper into Him. To do so would be
        folly.

        After novitiate, our commitment to conversion of manners obliges us to
        ever seek, to ever try to improve, to never give up the quest
        entirely. A Benedictine who has stopped trying to be better and
        stopped seeking God is in deep, maybe even fatal trouble. We always
        seek and strive. It is the very stuff of our lives as monastics.

        This chapter, by the way, led to the traditional division we now have
        of the Holy Rule into dates that will result in it all being read
        three times a year. The novices had to hear it three times anyway and
        elsewhere St. Benedict had asked that all in community hear
        it "frequently." Hence, this system was devised to cover both fronts!