Holy Rule for Dec. 28

    Message 1 of 139 , Dec 27, 2010

      Allen, admitted to the hospital with fluid on his lungs and possible heart problems.

      Sue, brest cancer surgery.

      Continued prayers for M, about to be evicted Jan. 4.

      Continued prayers and Deo gratias for B. and W., her mentally ill husband. He seems to be a bit less in denial that he has an illness and the visit went well.
      He will visit again in the summer and hopefully will come to grips with why he abandoned his wife and daughter.

      Chapter 70: That No One Venture to Punish at Random

      Every occasion of presumption
      shall be avoided in the monastery,
      and we decree that no one be allowed
      to excommunicate or to strike any of her sisters
      unless the Abbess has given her the authority.
      Those who offend in this matter
      shall be rebuked in the presence of all,
      that the rest may have fear.

      But children up to 15 years of age
      shall be carefully controlled and watched by all,
      yet this too with all moderation and discretion.
      All, therefore, who presume
      without the Abbess' instructions
      to punish those above that age
      or who lose their temper with them,
      shall undergo the discipline of the Rule;
      for it is written,
      "Do not to another what you would not want done to yourself" (Tobias
      4:16).

      REFLECTION

      "Every occasion of presumption should be avoided in the monastery."
      This is about a lot more than saying who can punish whom. This is
      pointing out that, whenever there are more than one to be considered,
      absolute freedom cannot exist. This is about central authority, yes,
      but it is also about the total way one conducts oneself in a home or
      group that others share.

      Ever think about your first home away from your parents house? It was
      probably different in a lot of ways, especially if you lived there
      alone. Heady freedom that! I recall my own first place very well and
      fondly. However, I can assure you, I could not have lived as I did
      there had I been in a family, with younger siblings at home. (OK, it
      was 1969, so go figure...)

      Even alone, however, I was not free to play my stereo at undue
      volumes at 3 AM. We live on a common planet, at some point ALL of our
      lives touch others. When they do, control of some sort is necessary
      if people are to live in peace.

      There is a great and treacherous myth of individualism among
      Americans and, to a lesser extent, I think, among all Western
      European cultures. Non-western cultures often have a much more highly
      developed sense of sharing and commonality. The American nonsense
      of "God-bless-the-child-that's-got-his-own" does justice to neither
      God nor the child!

      Schweitzer pointed out that Europeans found the Africans lazy,
      because they would not work to a point of exhaustion without need.
      They worked all right, but when the work was done, they quit. They
      had a casual and natural attitude to work, proper to their own
      economic system, that drove the Europeans nuts, because the latter
      had more of a 40-hours-a-week-and-then-you-rest notion. Both
      Schweitzer and I tend to side with the natives on this one!

      That myth of total freedom, of self-sufficiency being able to buy one
      the right to any activity is totally wrong. Even at 20, in my richly
      bohemian digs that I called "Shackri-la", I was not totally free. I
      didn't know it well enough back then, but I wasn't. I had no right to waste
      water or leave lights on all night or drive drunk. My fantasy might have
      been chronologically appropriate as Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco,
      but hey, even there, even then, people were not totally free. None of us are.

      Every presumed domain of our control exists on a planet shared by
      billions. No one of us is an island. Our complete interdependence is
      not only objective fact, it is our only hope. You might never have
      read this chapter as an ad for ecological consciousness, but look at
      the first line again. We are ALWAYS in this with others and that
      always means responsibilities to "...not do to another what one would
      not have done to oneself."

      Message 139 of 139 , Nov 29, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers for Pluscarden Abbey, on the feast of St. Andrew, one of its patrons, and for all of Scotland, whose patron is also St. Andrew.

        On this last day of November, please remember the Holy Souls, the whole month is dedicated to prayer for them, and remember to pray for them throughout the year! Ask them to intercede for you, too, they are great friends to have and they are so very grateful to us for our prayers and help for them.

        Prayers for the safety all the people, property, buildings and animals threatened by extreme fires in Tennessee. Many fires are being fought, prayers for those fighting them and trying to help.

        Prayers for the people of Mosul and Aleppo, and for all in danger and crisis from fighting and war in these areas.

        Prayers for Ann, who has a possible detached retina, that it can be treated successfully. She is also praying to accept God’s will, whatever that may be. The troubled retina is in the better of her eyes, so retaining vision there is very important.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Andrew and for all his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for the recovery of the 11 injured in the Ohio State University attack, one of whom is critical. Prayers, too, for the repentance and conversion of the attacker, who was killed, and prayers for his eternal rest and for the families of all.

        Prayers for Val, who fell and broke her hip.  She is recovering from surgery but is not doing well with uncontrolled blood pressure and is in ICU.  Also prayers for her family.

        Prayers for Ron, for whom we've prayed, who had open heart surgery postponed.  His condition is not great and this surgery needs to happen as soon as possible.

        Prayers for Chiara's return to the Church.  She is doing so much helping others that she doesn't need to look far to discover Christ's presence in those she helps.

        Prayers for Bev and Erika.  They are Jehovah's Witnesses.  Prayers that they discover the fullness of the faith and truth in the Catholic Church.  Also that Bev finds full time work soon.

        grace. God is never absent. Alleluia!
        Thanks so much. JL

        March 31, July 31, November 30

        Chapter 49: On the Observance of Lent

        Although the life of a monk
        ought to have about it at all times
        the character of a Lenten observance,
        yet since few have the virtue for that,
        we therefore urge that during the actual days of Lent
        the brethren keep their lives most pure
        and at the same time wash away during these holy days
        all the negligences of other times.
        And this will be worthily done
        if we restrain ourselves from all vices
        and give ourselves up to prayer with tears,
        to reading, to compunction of heart and to abstinence.

        During these days, therefore,
        let us increase somewhat the usual burden of our service,
        as by private prayers and by abstinence in food and drink.
        Thus everyone of his own will may offer God
        "with joy of the Holy Spirit" (1 Thess. 1:6)
        something above the measure required of him.
        From his body, that is
        he may withhold some food, drink, sleep, talking and jesting;
        and with the joy of spiritual desire
        he may look forward to holy Easter.

        Let each one, however, suggest to his Abbot
        what it is that he wants to offer,
        and let it be done with his blessing and approval.
        For anything done without the permission of the spiritual father
        will be imputed to presumption and vainglory
        and will merit no reward.
        Therefore let everything be done with the Abbot's approval.

        REFLECTION

        Because we read St. Benedict's 1500 year old Holy Rule with modern
        eyes, it often seems harsh. To balance our perspective, we need to
        see the radical nature of the Rule when written. Face it, folks, this
        was most definitely a gentler Rule for European wannabes who could
        never hack it in the Egyptian desert in their wildest dreams. His
        introductory paragraph points out his plan of adaptation: "...since
        few have the virtue for that..." Our founder was most certainly writing
        for the struggling plodders of monasticism and he knew it. Keeping
        that uppermost in our minds can be informatively humbling.

        St. Benedict's fatherly heart was
        with the underdogs, the also rans, the strays and those that others
        could not be bothered with. He must have felt at some point that
        there HAD to be a way for the spiritually challenged to become
        monastics. A millennium and a half later, we are still benefiting
        from his attempts.

        Hence, for us Benedictines, when the Evil One tempts us with his lies
        like: "You could never do that! You could never be THAT holy!"
        our reaction must be to ignore him totally. We have no clue
        of how holy we can be. God alone knows that and God alone will lead
        us and show us in ways we are quite unlikely to ever understand.
        Whenever the demon of discouragement tells us we are far beneath this
        Rule for beginners, we must shrug indifferently and move on, briefly
        impressed for once with the Father of Lies' firm grasp on the obvious.

        Of *COURSE* we are beneath this Rule, beneath any of the earlier
        ones. Duh?!? We're Benedictines. Our Order was founded for people
        like us. That should never, ever be a cause to stop trying, to give
        up or quit. On the contrary, that fact should be a heartening
        confirmation that we are EXACTLY where we belong, in the best
        possible remedial education program for slow learners like us, right
        where God wants us.

        Like a mother to a crying child, devoid of hope, who moans "But I
        CAN'T, I just can't!" St. Benedict is softly saying, "Well,
        just do what you can and that will be OK." Get the picture? OK! Then
        go out, play nice and do what you can today... Don't be surprised if
        you find that God is increasing, sometimes imperceptibly, that "what
        you can" little by little to heights of great holiness, which we will
        achieve all but unawares and only with His help. Someday, we really
        SHALL "run in the way...with hearts enlarged."