Holy Rule for Oct. 21

    Message 1 of 59 , Oct 20, 2010
      +PAX

      Continued prayers for Srs. Charlotte and Connie Ruth, OSB. Both are progressing very well. It is amazing what the power of prayer can do.

      Continued prayers for Ben, special intention.

      Prayers for Katy and Robert, both dealing with pain and possible pain killer abuse.

      Deo gratias for all prayers answered in the past.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      February 20, June 21, October 21

      Chapter 17: How Many Psalms Are to Be Said at These Hours
      We have already arranged the order of the psalmody for the Night
      and Morning Offices;
      let us now provide for the remaining Hours.

      At Prime let three Psalms be said, separately and not under
      one "Glory be to the Father."
      The hymn of that Hour is to follow the verse "Incline unto my aid,
      O God," before the Psalms begin. Upon completion of the three
      Psalms let one lesson be recited,
      then a verse, the "Lord, have mercy on us" and the concluding
      prayers.

      The Offices of Terce, Sext and None are to be celebrated in the
      same order, that is:
      the "Incline unto my aid, O God," the hymn proper to each Hour,
      three Psalms, lesson and verse, "Lord, have mercy on us" and
      concluding prayers.

      If the community is a large one, let the Psalms be sung with
      antiphons; but if small,
      let them be sung straight through.

      Let the Psalms of the Vesper Office be limited to four, with
      antiphons. After these Psalms the lesson is to be recited, then the
      responsory, the Ambrosian hymn, the verse, the canticle from the
      Gospel book, the litany, the Lord's Prayer and the concluding
      prayers.

      Let Compline be limited to the saying of three Psalms, which are to
      be said straight through without antiphon, and after them the
      hymn of that Hour, one lesson, a verse, the "Lord, have mercy on
      us," the blessing and the concluding prayers.

      REFLECTION

      A real short one here. People often ask me about the Benedictine
      Office and want to include it in their prayer lives. This chapter
      offers a great solution: the Benedictine Psalms of Compline.

      They are the same ones every day. You can use them with whatever
      format you have for Compline. Many houses, even today, still use
      the Psalms mentioned here, and all of them did for most of our
      history. The Psalms are 4, When I call...,90(91) He who dwells in
      the shelter of the Most High..., and 133(134) O come, bless the
      Lord..., the first number being the Septuagint numbering usually
      found in older Catholic Bibles and the parenthetical numbering the
      Hebrew one found in Protestant Bibles.

      Used daily, these Psalms sink quickly into memory. Pretty soon
      you'll be able to say Compline with no book. Now that is a great
      joy! No books needed. Warm and familiar. Enjoy!!

      For any who would like a copy of the 1963 Monastic Diurnal, which
      has all the day hours, but not Matins, it has been republished by
      Farnborough Abbey, in Latin and English, side by side columns. More
      info at:

      _http://www.farnboroughabbey.org/_
      (http://www.farnboroughabbey.org/)

      or contact: Brother Bernard 1.505.388.9279 -- Our Lady of Guadalupe
      Monastery, New Mexico, USA

      Message 59 of 59 , Oct 9

        +PAX

        Prayers for the healing of Layla, 5, who broke two bones in her arm while skating, and for her family, who are wooried about her.

        Prayers that E. will return to Confession after many years.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Catherine, and for her family, especially her daughter, Eliza, and all who mourn her.

        Birthday prayers for Kathy and Fr. Patrick, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Ernest and his sons Ernest and, Sean, they died at different times a while ago. Prayers for all their family, esp. Maria and Rosemary, and for all who mourn them.

         Lord, help us all as You know and will.
        Thanks so much. JL

        February 10, June 11, October 11
        Chapter 8: On the Divine Office During the Night

        In the winter time,
        that is from the Calends of November until Easter,
        the sisters shall rise
        at what is calculated to be the eighth hour of the night,
        so that they may sleep somewhat longer than half the night
        and rise with their rest completed.
        And the time that remains after the Night Office
        should be spent in study
        by those sisters who need a better knowledge of the Psalter
        or the lessons.

        From Easter to the aforesaid Calends of November,
        the hour of rising should be so arranged that the Morning Office,
        which is to be said at daybreak,
        will follow the Night Office after a very short interval,
        during which they may go out for the necessities of nature.

        REFLECTION

        In St. Benedict's time, and for centuries afterwards, life on a self-sustaining
        farm, which monasteries were supposed to be, was far more difficult and
        time consuming than it would be today. The simplest things that we now do
        with the flick of a switch were big deals, involving lots of human workers and
        every available daylight hour.

        Hence, the monks got up early, very early, to get in much of their monastic day
        before the sun (and the critters!) rose for the day. There was, of course, a
        penitential aspect to this early rising, too, and the ancient Christian practice
        of the night vigil.

        There's at least a possible hint for Oblates of today in all this. Get up a bit
        earlier if you can, and devote those silent and dark morning hours or minutes to
        your monastic endeavors. Knock off a late TV favorite and go to bed a tad
        earlier. We always find time for what we love most. If, however, one is married
        and has a spouse that doesn't want one to blissfully retire at 7:30 or so, this
        will not work. Marriage is a primary, sacramental vocation and demands
        precedence.

        Two very human glimpses into the personality of St. Benedict here. He
        is thoughtful and kind, making sure the monastics have time for a
        bathroom run and he is not prudish about mentioning it. Its part of
        the human and part of family life. As casually as a Mother asks young
        children if anybody "has to go" before a trip, he throws out mention
        of the fact that not everyone could make it through two long services
        without great discomfort!