Holy Rule for Oct. 6

    Message 1 of 143 , Oct 5, 2010

      Prayers, please, for Br. Bruno (formerly known some years ago on Monastic Life list as "Dunmoose the Ageless.") on his feastday, prayers, too, for all Carthusians on their founder's feast.

      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of George, 90, terminal Alzheimer's disease and now pneumonia with multiple organ shut down. May he go peacefully to God.
      Prayers, too, for his sons and family.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Jim, who died unexpectedly in his sleep and for his wife and family and all who mourn him, especially his sister, Pat.

      Prayers, please, for little Damon for whom we have prayed before. Due to his other profoundly debilitating disabilities he has dangerously deficient bone density. It is correctable, but it will require a surgically installed port for the chemical treatment. The surgery is scheduled for the 26th of October.

      Prayers for Marilyn, who's hospitalized with a possible stroke, and her husband Lloyd.

      Also prayers for Daisy, who is seriously ill.

      Prayers for James, who's facing important tests in school.

      Prayers for Don, having an MRI to find out what is causing his headaches and vertigo.

      Lord,
      help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.

      The eighth degree of humility
      is that a monk do nothing except what is commended
      by the common Rule of the monastery
      and the example of the elders.

      REFLECTION

      Well, this one looks deceptively simple enough. Just try it! I speak
      as one who has frequently failed it and who sometimes* fails it
      still. [* I only fail it on special occasions: Sunday, Monday,
      Tuesday, Wednesday.... you get the picture.] This step of humility,
      by the way, will translate very easily into family life, the
      neighborhood, or the workplace.

      The goal here is not just external uniformity so much as internal
      detachment. We are deeply attached to the things we do. Demanding to
      do things our own way is not humble. When vocation observers come to the
      monastery, for the monks or the nuns, I often see little quirks of
      external piety in church and think: "Well, that'll have to go..."

      One cannot profitably go through monastic formation cherishing the
      notion that one has got it right and one's elders have it wrong. You
      may even be right, or the matter may be completely neutral. (The
      term "optional" comes to mind, but that was NOT used to express
      neutrality!) That's not the issue here. Detachment and humility are.

      When we singularize ourselves without real moral imperative, the
      message given to the whole community is "I know better." That this is
      not warmly received in a junior or newcomer should come as no
      surprise. A monastic family is like any spouse: you had better not
      marry what you hope to change them into, but only what they ARE. If
      we fail this, we change "Thy will be done" into "MY will be done!"
      and we do so with sorry results.

      No spouse is perfect, neither is any family, monastery or job, but if
      you expect to change them right off the bat, you're doomed to woe. In
      monastery and marriage and workplace, the only person you can REALLY
      change is yourself and the sooner you get around to doing that, the
      better for all concerned.

      The sad thing (and I am guilty here!) is that sometimes these things
      we do on our own have nothing to do with piety at all. They are,
      pure and simple, revolt, passive aggression, small, though very
      public ways of expressing our scorn for this or that concept or
      person. Having lived in the Church of the 60's and 70's, I picked up
      the idea of refusal as a kind of non-violent demonstration. Not quite
      as laudable as my youthful self may have thought!

      I also must say that, in those less-than-halcyon days, I picked it up
      from my monastic seniors, just not always the best seniors! I still
      do it at times, and I still wrestle with paring those times down day
      by day. The hardest humility and obedience are to things we truly
      think are dumb and do not matter. The difficulty alone must mean
      there is great potential for growth there.

      An interesting aside here. The dissenter often thinks she is a grand
      and eloquent witness for justice and truth. The stubborn monk thinks
      he has scored a real victory for integrity and correctness. In fact,
      those who live with them often think they're just silly and pathetically
      off the mark. Of the two impressions, this last is closer to truth!

      It is also interesting to note (again, from sorry personal experience,)
      that the rebel often looks at other rebels (with whom he does not agree,
      so they are, of course, WRONG...) as silly. Wow! If one can be so right
      about those other rebels, how come the other monastics aren't right about
      oneself?? Hmmmm....

      Message 143 of 143 , May 21, 2014
        Prayers, please, for a woman who is trying to get established with a doctor;each one she has called either is not taking new patients or does not accept her insurance. Several are retiring or leaving their practice.