Holy Rule for Sept. 26

    Message 1 of 143 , Sep 25 1:14 PM

      Prayers for Mother Mary Elizabeth, elected Prioress of our Petersham nuns yesterday, for a grace-filled tenure for her and the Community.

      Deo gratias and prayers of thanks for Pat, home from rehab after her brain surgery. Continued prayers for her chemo and radiation.

      Deo gratias, the ACT conference was a holy and blessed and grace-filled success, thanks to all for their prayers.

      Prayers needed for Mike, in4th year of studies to become
      a Deacon, suffered a heart attack on Friday, had surgery
      & now prayers for healing for him & his family.

      Prayers for healing of a family, forgiveness for all, not bitterness.

      Prayers for Connie and her husband Paul,
      they just buried their 22 yr son Paul who was killed suddenly in auto accident
      Please pray also for Paul 's syblings....his twin brother Greg and his younger sister Angela.

      The first degree of humility, then,
      is that a person keep the fear of God before his eyes
      and beware of ever forgetting it.
      Let him be ever mindful of all that God has commanded;
      let his thoughts constantly recur
      to the hell-fire which will burn for their sins
      those who despise God,
      and to the life everlasting which is prepared
      for those who fear Him.
      Let him keep himself at every moment from sins and vices,
      whether of the mind, the tongue, the hands, the feet,
      or the self-will,
      and check also the desires of the flesh.

      REFLECTION

      Few things punch people's buttons like the phrase "fear of God." It is
      widely misunderstood and commonly taken in its most unappealing sense. A recent
      poll in the United States showed that an overwhelming majority of folks
      believed in God, but that an alarmingly high number thought He was a rather
      demanding Judge and taskmaster. How very sad!

      Perhaps a skewed understanding of the
      concept of the fear of God has gone a long way to making folks feel that way.
      There is a very big difference between fearing to offend a touchy, nasty,
      ill-tempered scoundrel and fearing to offend one we love deeply. Most people,
      quite unflatteringly, assume the fear of God is of the first variety. It
      isn't. It is the fear of offending One we love, One Who deserves nothing shoddy
      or half-hearted from us.

      When I love someone my heart breaks if I hurt or upset
      them, I would never do so intentionally and even unintentional gaffs upset
      me because they upset the one I love. It is this sort of "fear" that we need
      to cultivate in regards to God.

      This loving fear requires all the mindfulness and care and vigilance
      mentioned in this reading for reasons altogether different than terror. It
      demands them because of love, the same loving fear a mother has of failing to
      protect her child from harm or hurt. It is the lover's fear, not the fear of the
      terrorized, cowering, scared-to-death slave of an unjust master. It is the fear
      of a son or daughter who would never want to disappoint a beloved father or
      mother.

      We don't fear God because He's mean, we fear Him because He isn't,
      because He is so wonderful that nothing would be worse than to displease Him.
      To be sure, a lot of folks fear God in the scary way at square one. That's
      not surprising. But "perfect love casts out fear," so, in the natural order of
      things, as our love grows more perfect, our fear of the terror sort
      diminishes, changes, grows into the lover's fear. It may not go entirely until
      we know perfect love, but it is a great pity if it is not well on its way out.

      When we find ourselves considerably beyond square one and trembling with the
      awful fear, we do a great disservice to the kindness and love of God, to His
      infinite mercy. Where is our trust?

      St. Claude de la Colombiere, spiritual director of St. Margaret Mary
      Alacoque and great promoter of the Sacred Heart revelations given to her, also
      corresponded with a Benedictine abbess. This abbess had been elected at far too
      young an age (20!!!) and later becoming aware of her failings, was despairing
      over all her sins and faults. St. Claude firmly rebuked her and said: "One
      would think that you had never heard of God or His infinite mercy...[R]emember
      that all the evil you have done is as nothing in comparison with that which
      you do by failing in confidence."

      That is a striking statement, but very true. Our right-minded fear of God
      never, ever forgets His love or mercy or tenderness. Never.

      Message 143 of 143 , May 21, 2014
        Prayers, please, for a woman who is trying to get established with a doctor;each one she has called either is not taking new patients or does not accept her insurance. Several are retiring or leaving their practice.