Holy Rule for Sept. 14

    Message 1 of 143 , Sep 13, 2010

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Br. Patrick, my mentor, on his death anniversary.

      Jim, scheduled to have eye surgery on Tuesday morning, prayers for a successful operation without any complications.

      Family- father, mother and 3 children on hols with grandparents as well. Father got knocked off his bike and is now in a coma with severe brain injuries, and trauma to spine and neck. They are miles away from home, and his prognosis is not good. Please pray for the whole family, and also the friends of the children.

      Prayers for Ed who had bladder cancer that he be healed if that is God's Will.

      Lord, help us all as You know and
      Him. Thanks so much. JL

      The Abbess should always remember what she is
      and what she is called,
      and should know that to whom more is committed,
      from her more is required (Luke 12:48).
      Let her understand also
      what a difficult and arduous task she has undertaken:
      ruling souls and adapting herself to a variety of characters.
      One she must coax, another scold, another persuade,
      according to each one's character and understanding.
      Thus she must adjust and adapt herself to all
      in such a way that she may not only suffer no loss
      in the flock committed to her care,
      but may even rejoice in the increase of a good flock.

      REFLECTION

      When we read these portions of the Holy Rule which deal with the
      Abbot or other officials a very handy suggestion is in order. Read
      them to see what the Abbess (or parent or teacher or boss or yourself!)
      DOES comply with, not what you feel is missed, because no one I have
      ever known in the abbacy or any of those positions of trust and authority
      is perfect enough to fulfill them all at all times.

      Read them with one eye on whom the Abbot or boss or parent really is
      as a frail human being, what sort of person he or she is, and the other eye
      focused on what is demanded of him or her by the Holy Rule. Chapters such as
      this one will give you a really valuable insight into what those
      officials are wrestling with, a glimpse of how tough it can be to
      tread the very fine line.

      Parents, fear not! I'll bet Mother Teresa of Calcutta couldn't read
      this chapter without cringing a little, maybe even a lot. If your
      eyes are even half open, you will see the areas of failure every time
      you read them. (If, by some odd oversight, you have missed one or
      two, your children are quite likely to point them out to you the next
      time they get mad!!)

      Use those areas as goals to work on, but don't beat yourself up
      on them too badly. Not only does no one ever get there all at once,
      but, frankly, I think scarcely anyone ever gets there all the way period.
      It is usually death and purgation which at last perfect us. Meanwhile, we
      struggle and plod, works in progress, decidedly slow progress, too!

      Finally, since the majority of us will never be Abbots, read these
      portions of the Rule to see how you measure up. How many of these
      qualities do you have? When one of the things demanded of the Abbess
      is exercised in your regard, how gracefully, even gratefully, do you
      receive it? Authority is a two-way street. Any kid who thinks it ALL
      devolves on parents hasn't read the Commandments past number three.
      There are responsibilities both parties must uphold.

      Change "Abbess" to "Christian" and read again. Then add "Benedictine"
      to "Christian" and re-check that part about "to whom more is
      committed."

      Message 143 of 143 , May 21, 2014
        Prayers, please, for a woman who is trying to get established with a doctor;each one she has called either is not taking new patients or does not accept her insurance. Several are retiring or leaving their practice.