Holy Rule for Sept. 11

    Message 1 of 143 , Sep 10, 2010

      Carly, age 16, in for a heart procedure that went horribly wrong and
      she is brain dead. For her parents Derek and Jane having to make a decision
      no parent ever expects or wants to make.

      Audrey, having her second knee surgery, for a successful outcome.

      Karen, who's recovering from surgery and facing a friend's new, serious cancer diagnosis.

      Caroline, who has given up much of her life to begin living with and caring for her father after his stroke.

      Nancy, helping her father cope with a recent illness and recovery.

      Fred, suffering from Alzheimer's disease, for peace and comfort.

      Robert and his family, as he prepares to go home from rehab after a lengthy stay.

      Shirey, coping with pain and chronic illness.

      Craig's grandmother, in her 90's, in the hospital awaiting transfer to a care home.

      Kelly and Elaine, for peace and reonciliation.

      Laurel, in her 40's, internal bleeding and the doctors can't find where it is, it is a critical situation.

      Prayers for Ellen and Carol, birthdays tomorrow.

      Lord, help us all as You
      know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent,
      praise Him. Thanks so much. JL

      Therefore, when anyone receives the name of Abbess,
      she ought to govern her disciples with a twofold teaching.
      That is to say,
      she should show them all that is good and holy
      by her deeds even more than by her words,
      expounding the Lord's commandments in words
      to the intelligent among her disciples,
      but demonstrating the divine precepts by her actions
      for those of harder hearts and ruder minds.
      And whatever she has taught her disciples
      to be contrary to God's law,
      let her indicate by her example that it is not to be done,
      lest, while preaching to others, she herself be found reprobate (1
      Cor. 9:27),
      and lest God one day say to her in her sin,
      "Why do you declare My statutes
      and profess My covenant with your lips,
      whereas you hate discipline
      and have cast My words behind you" (Ps. 49:16-17)?
      And again,
      "You were looking at the speck in your brother's eye,
      and did not see the beam in your own" (Matt. 7:3).

      REFLECTION

      Whether one is abbot or parent or teacher or supervisor, one of the
      dangers to be most carefully watched is the teaching by example. No
      matter how careful one is with one's words, unless one is equally
      careful with one's actions, those governed or taught will very soon
      be affected, for good or ill! If this amount of vigilance seems to be
      superhuman, it is! No one can do it without grace or prayer. Since
      sadly few ever have sufficient recourse to either grace or prayer-
      abbots included, at times- the potential for harm here is very great.

      What we think is innocent, our children will tend to believe. They
      might ignore our words, but they are astute observers of our actions,
      which are far more eloquent. If parents do not practice their faith,
      the chances of their children ever doing so are all but nil. Barring
      a miracle of grace, it ain't gonna happen. Hence, we must ask
      ourselves very careful questions about what we want to extinguish in
      those who follow us and why. We must ask ourselves if we want
      to "courageously" defend to God all that we have taught implicitly.
      These are tough questions, but they are rooted in a very healthy
      reality.

      Parents and superiors and employers and teachers all need to know
      when to let go. That requires a great maturity and a lot of prayer
      and grace. It is something so nearly beyond human capability that
      natural gifts alone rarely provide for it. Leave the plants in the
      hothouse too long and they will not thrive in the garden. Leave them
      there too short and they will be killed by the first stray frost.
      Seedlings have to be "hardened off" by leaving the flats out in the
      sun for a few days and bringing them in at night. Break the balance
      in the system and one courts disaster.

      The terrible, truly terrible thing about power is that insofar as it
      is related to the ego, to the self, it is likely to fail. Power
      exercised in true service and selflessness will reap a harvest of
      undreamed proportions. Unfortunately, the same may be said about
      power which is nothing but an extension of one's own neuroses or
      worse onto others.

      Message 143 of 143 , May 21, 2014
        Prayers, please, for a woman who is trying to get established with a doctor;each one she has called either is not taking new patients or does not accept her insurance. Several are retiring or leaving their practice.