Holy Rule for Aug. 31

    Message 1 of 143 , Aug 30, 2010

      Prayers for Paul, dealing with serious family issues.

      Prayers for Ben that he sells or rents his property and that he becomes more aware of how many people love and care for him.

      Deo gratias for past prayers answered.

      Prayers, please, for an elderly woman who is having a cataract operation on Wed, 1 Sept.

      Prayers for Carol, having reverse shoulder replacement Tuesday. Had total shoulder replacement last Oct. but it didn't work so she is anxious about having this one.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Peter, 54, and his wife, Jacqueline, 53, killed in a motorcycle/car accident and for all their family and all their loved ones, especially Lottie, 82, mother of Jacqueline, and for all who mourn them. Prayers, too, for the four other people injured in the wreck.

      Both my parents are long deceased, but today would have been their
      69th wedding anniversary, so prayers, please, for Jerome and Louise, who first
      gave me some of what I am able to pass on to others, who also first
      took me to St. Leo Abbey. That opened a lifelong love of both St.
      Leo and Benedictinism for me. How much I owe them! For their eternal rest and
      Deo gratias!

      May 1, August 31, December 31
      Chapter 73: On the Fact That the Full Observance of Justice Is Not
      Established in This Rule

      Now we have written this Rule
      in order that by its observance in monasteries
      we may show that we have attained some degree of virtue
      and the rudiments of the religious life.

      But for those who would hasten to the perfection of that life
      there are the teaching of the holy Fathers,
      the observance of which leads to the height of perfection.
      For what page or what utterance
      of the divinely inspired books of the Old and New Testaments
      is not a most unerring rule for human life?
      Or what book of the holy Catholic Fathers
      does not loudly proclaim
      how we may come by a straight course to our Creator?
      Then the Conferences and the Institutes
      and the Lives of the Fathers,
      as also the Rule of our holy Father Basil --
      what else are they but tools of virtue
      for right-living and obedient monks?
      But for us who are lazy and ill-living and negligent
      they are a source of shame and confusion.

      Whoever you are, therefore,
      who are hastening to the heavenly homeland,
      fulfill with the help of Christ
      this minimum Rule which we have written for beginners;
      and then at length under God's protection
      you will attain to the loftier heights of doctrine and virtue
      which we have mentioned above.

      REFLECTION

      I used to love to teach 8th graders. At the top of a kindergarten
      through 8th grade school, they thought they had REALLY arrived, they
      were very pleased with themselves! My 8th graders knew that I loved
      them, so I could afford to tease them a bit. I used to narrow my
      eyes
      into a fake menacing gaze and say: "Ah, now you're the top, but next
      year? Next year you will be FRESHMEN! The lowest of the low! Just
      wait till high school." And they would laugh, secure in the fact
      that I MUST be joking....

      Well, folks, the beauty of this last chapter is that is tells us we
      are ALL eighth graders, if even that. We'd do well to take St.
      Benedict seriously on this one, but I'll bet he smiled with the same
      affection I used to show to my kids. Three times a year we read the
      Holy Rule entirely and three times a year he lovingly shakes us
      awake to the reality that we will for all of our lives, always be
      freshmen next year!

      That's the Benedictine surprise that's wrapped in conversion of
      manners: we never "arrive", we're not so hot as we thought ourselves
      to be, we are just barely ready for the next step.
      This is VERY different from the self-loathing we spoke about
      yesterday with the bitter zeal. This is the true self-knowledge, the
      smiling, even shrugging acceptance of the fact that we are just on
      the way, nothing special there!

      How great must our God be! I have never known anyone who kept all of
      the Holy Rule perfectly, but I have known many that I thought were
      great saints, very observant monastics. St. Benedict is clearly
      telling us that even the best of us are but observing
      this minimum Rule.

      God is so vast and we are always taking the tumbling
      first steps of toddlers towards Him, but He is always holding on and
      beaming with the pride an love of a parent guiding those steps. Our
      Holy Rule is filled with awesome things, yet it is only
      the "rudiments" of the spiritual life!

      Eighth graders, eighth graders all, but ah, what a high school
      awaits!

      Message 143 of 143 , May 21, 2014
        Prayers, please, for a woman who is trying to get established with a doctor;each one she has called either is not taking new patients or does not accept her insurance. Several are retiring or leaving their practice.