Holy Rule for July 29

    Message 1 of 143 , Jul 28, 2010

      Ricky, still seeking work and needing lots of prayer.

      Michael Sheridan and other residents of his town who suffered home or property damage from a very severe storm a couple of nights ago. Fortunately, no one was hurt and Michael's home suffered only slight damage, but others had extensive building damage.

      D., very angry, and rightly so in this case. but trying hard to control it, for all her needs in a difficult situation. Prayers especially till Sunday of this week.

      David, who is mentally challenged, has developed a life-threatening infection after surgery. He doesn't understand why he is in the hospital or why he is in such pain.

      Hall undergoing heart catheterization for angina and related problems.

      Diana recovering from a bad fall and awaiting knee replacement surgery but about to embark on a long car trip.

      for Jack and Bob's health.

      Deo gratias for the selection of a new vicar for Christchurch Priory.

      Jay as he turns 60.

      Lord, help us all
      as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never
      absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

      From the Calends of October until the beginning of Lent, let them apply
      themselves to reading up to the end of the second hour.

      At the second hour let Terce be said, and then let all labor at the work
      assigned them until None. At the first signal for the Hour of None let
      everyone break off from her work, and hold herself ready for the
      sounding of the second signal. After the meal
      let them apply themselves to their reading or to the Psalms.

      On the days of Lent, from morning until the end of the third hour
      let them apply themselves to their reading, and from then until the end
      of the tenth hour let them do the work assigned them.
      And in these days of Lent they shall each receive a book from the
      library, which they shall read straight through from the beginning.
      These books are to be given out at the beginning of Lent.

      But certainly one or two of the seniors should be deputed to go about
      the monastery at the hours when the sisters are occupied in reading and
      see that there be no lazy sister who spends her time in idleness or
      gossip and does not apply herself to the reading,
      so that she is not only unprofitable to herself but also distracts
      others. If such a one be found (which God forbid), let her be corrected
      once and a second time; if she does not amend, let her undergo the
      punishment of the Rule in such a way that the rest may take warning.

      Moreover, one sister shall not associate with another at inappropriate
      times.

      REFLECTION

      [CAUTION: I confess that I just do not like this reflection, and I would not
      write it the same way today. I fear some might use it to justify breaking off
      all contact with someone and that is not my intent, nor should it be the way we
      deal with others. Distance, in some cases, might be advisable, but we still
      have to be civil, we still have to speak to the person in areas that are not
      affected, at least a simple greeting. Especially if we live with the person,
      or they are part of our family, a lot of this needs to be read very differently.
      I tried to write another reflection altogether, but couldn't seem to do so. Hence,
      I edited this one heavily, because the only other option was to gie no
      reflection at all today.]

      The Holy Rule rightly forbids us to associate with others at
      inappropriate times. What we need to realize is that inappropriate
      times can be determined by people and situations, as well as
      schedules. Sometimes some things or some people make interaction on
      certain levels inappropriate.

      When another person is insistent on pursuing exchanges that are good for
      neither you nor them, it is futile to associate with that person in such
      ways until the climate significantly changes. It is disruptive of peace:
      theirs, yours and those around both of you.

      People who lack peace themselves are often relentless in their attempts to
      destroy it in others, wittingly or unwittingly. Don't let them. You need
      your peace for your search for God. Pray for them and calm down.

      For Christians and especially for monastics, relationships may never be
      totally sundered. There must always be prayer, always concern, even if
      it is indirect, unknown and unseen by any but God. One must
      always pray for the salvation of all. Cling to prayer. Always forgive,
      always pray. But sometimes one can do both without returning to
      business exactly as usual.

      Message 143 of 143 , May 21, 2014
        Prayers, please, for a woman who is trying to get established with a doctor;each one she has called either is not taking new patients or does not accept her insurance. Several are retiring or leaving their practice.