Holy Rule for July 27

    Message 1 of 148 , Jul 26, 2010
      +PAX

      Deo gratias and prayers of thanksgiving: 8 years of sobriety for Tom. Ad multos annos, many more!

      Summer Jane, 12 months. She had to have both kidneys removed and one was cancerous. She has had 10 surgeries in her first year of life. Prayers, too, for both her parents and especially her Dad, Dan, who is giving her one of his kidneys. May all go smoothly.

      Jane, for whom we prayed is doing a bit better, Deo gratias. Still some pain, numbness and discomfort but progress. She had a second cortisone shot last Thursday. Please continue to keep her in your prayers.

      Chapter 47: On Giving the Signal for the Time of the Work of God

      The indicating of the hour for the Work of God by day and by night
      shall devolve upon the Abbot either to give the signal himself
      or to assign this duty to such a careful brother that everything will
      take place at the proper hours. Let the Psalms and the antiphons be
      intoned by those who are appointed for it, in their order after the
      Abbot. And no one shall presume to sing or read unless he can fulfill
      that office in such a way as to edify the hearers.
      Let this function be performed with humility, gravity and reverence, and
      by him whom the Abbot has appointed.

      REFLECTION

      Our families are varied, both in monasteries and in the world. Not
      everyone has the gift of song or of reading aloud. Of those who do,
      not everyone has the gifts of love and humility and these, too, must
      be taken into account. The Solesmes Congregation is the world
      authority in Gregorian chant, but even they must live by the Holy
      Rule. I love the story of an Abbot of one their abbeys who used to
      take the choir master down a peg or two when he thought he was being too
      dominant, singing too loud, or too much of a soloist. He would tell the
      offender to sing sotto voce for a given amount of time as a reality
      check. Now there's a smart Abbot!

      In Benedictine families, those who can are forbidden to look down on
      those who cannot. We have a place and function for everyone and that
      place is firmly guarded by humility and love. We do care that
      word and chant be proclaimed edifyingly, even nobly, but the minute we
      get sucked into the idiocy of performance the whole thing is flushed.
      As so often, the Holy Rule's clear message is: "Get a life! Get real!"

      We have vocations, not careers. If any job becomes our life, it is
      time to change because, to us, any job is work, nothing more. It may be
      prayerful work, but it is just work. In and of itself, it has no more
      (or less!) relation to our monastic calling than cleaning
      toilets or taking out the garbage. The manner and attitude we give to
      any task whatsoever can either advance us on the monastic path,
      stymie us, or pull us back. A superior who knows this and assigns
      offices accordingly can be a very, very great blessing to all.

      Message 148 of 148 , Jun 22

        Prayers for George, needs a heart valve replacement, but is too weak for the surgery. Prayers that he can have the surgery or, should God call him now, for his happy death.