Holy Rule for July 25

    Message 1 of 148 , Jul 24, 2010
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Fr. Larry Boadt, CP, and for his community, family and for all who mourn him.

      Deo gratias and prayers of thanks for Mary Eleanor, whose cancerous tumor has been blasted away, now she only needs monitoring for three years. She thanks all for their prayers.

      Prayers for a parish in Auckland whose parish council has been sacked, for their Priest and for the betterment of their liturgy.

      Ray, newly invested Oblate novice of St. Mary's Monastery and for his special intention.

      Margaret Young who suffered from breast cancer some years ago and has now had a recall to the hospital.

      Prayers too for CAFOD's outreach to young people at the International Scout and Guide Camp "Peak 2010" at Chatsworth this coming week. And for John, who will be one of CAFOD's staff for a couple of days.

      Lyn, who did not get to go to Canada from Scotland to see her son, due to gall stones. She goes into hospital Sunday for gall bladder removal on Monday. Prayers also for Ian, her husband, having to deal with all of this and for her son.

      Andrew and Karen, who lost a baby, three months into Karen's pregnancy. They have 2 daughters, Amy, 8, and Sadie, nearly 5, who has a serious heart condition. Prayers for them all, for the dear baby's soul, and for any future pregnancies.

      Fiona, 35 on Saturday, that she find her way. She is a bit unsettled at present, just started work as a self-employed Celtic harpist, and has no fixed faith.

      Pat who, in her mid 80s, is possibly losing the fight against a combination of chest and stomach problems.

      Colleen and Bob, going on a camping holiday, for a safe and restorative time.

      Chapter 45: On Those Who Make Mistakes in the Oratory

      When anyone has made a mistake while reciting a Psalm, a responsory, an
      antiphon or a lesson, if he does not humble himself there before all by
      making a satisfaction, let him undergo a greater punishment because he
      would not correct by humility what he did wrong through carelessness.

      But boys for such faults shall be whipped.

      REFLECTION

      This chapter bears the key to Benedictine community and
      mercy: the offender is willing, perhaps even eager at times, to humble
      himself after a fault, without any prompting, before any action is taken
      from superiors. Contrast this with those who resist ardently the
      slightest correction and you will quickly see what such behaviour
      indicates! The hallmarks of our Order are humility and obedience.

      OK, another little slice of monastery life here! Brother Isidore is
      Canadian, and runs very true to the stereotypical Canadian politeness
      and reticence we Statesiders often tease him about. Brother joins in
      this fun with a lot of good humour. (Please note British Commonwealth
      spelling preferences here, a token offering!) One of his favourite lines
      of jest is: "I'm sorry, it was my fault." This is best repeated while
      striking his breast, after a glaringly obvious gaff by the OTHER party,
      and all enjoy a laugh.

      We follow the custom of kneeling in choir when one makes an audible
      mistake here. Brother Isidore used to sit in my row. On more than one waggish
      occasion, I have been known to comment that, if one wants to have a
      little fun in choir, all one needs to do is make a mistake, act like
      nothing happened, and wait for the Canadian to kneel. Oh, well, it's a
      joke we all like- even Brother Isidore!

      The kneeling is just a way to say "I'm sorry" to the group. It also has
      some (though by no means a total,) deterrent effect. Many are the days
      when I kneel for the third time in one Office hour and just think: "Why
      don't I just STAY on my knees for the duration?" It can be funny, too.
      Hear a big gaff and watch 2/3 of a row kneel after the verse is
      finished. On the other hand, I often- though not always, alas- try not
      to look at who kneels. I can assure you, from the many times I kneel
      myself, I find merit in the practice every time. Honestly and truthfully
      admitting gaffs can be a source of great growth.

      And there's the key for all of us who are NOT in choir. Admit your
      mistakes, own up, apologize. These common courtesies are very Christ-
      like and are very, very rare in our world today. Modern people can have
      such a distorted view of their own impeccability. When we admit ours, we
      throw a compelling image of Christ into that secular morass. It may be
      just throwing bread on the waters, but we never know whom our truthful
      admissions may touch and lead to God.

      Message 148 of 148 , Jun 22

        Prayers for George, needs a heart valve replacement, but is too weak for the surgery. Prayers that he can have the surgery or, should God call him now, for his happy death.